Radio buttons in an Edit Record

Radio buttons in an Edit Record

Is it my imagination, or is it not easy to use radio buttons within an Edit Record if you want the value/label pairs to come from a record list? Because right now, the radio button widget gets put on the screen one-by-one, so the only way to do it based on a record list is to use th eList Records widget... which can't be put into an Edit Record.

It seems like my only option is a Web Block with a record list of name/value pairs, which then uses the On Change of the radio button to send the value back up to the Edit Record with Notify Widget. Is this really the only way to do this? Or am I overlooking something really obvious?

J.Ja
Justin James wrote:
Is it my imagination, or is it not easy to use radio buttons within an Edit Record if you want the value/label pairs to come from a record list? Because right now, the radio button widget gets put on the screen one-by-one, so the only way to do it based on a record list is to use th eList Records widget... which can't be put into an Edit Record.

It seems like my only option is a Web Block with a record list of name/value pairs, which then uses the On Change of the radio button to send the value back up to the Edit Record with Notify Widget. Is this really the only way to do this? Or am I overlooking something really obvious?

J.Ja

Hi Justin,

It's been a while since I've used radio buttons, but I believe you can do it without the (Ajax) On Change feature. You still need to place a ListRecords widget outside the EditRecord, though.

First, start with the following structures:

In this example, my EditRecord will use a structure containing 2 attributes (both Text data type).
To show the value/label pairs you still need a ListRecords widget, these should probably be loaded on your Preparation screen (or through a function) in the ListRecords' Source Record List property.

Then all you're missing is to set up the radio button properties nicely. According to Radio Button Widget Properties, you need to set the Variable where you want to record the value of the selected radio button and the Value source - which will be the current record being listed in the ListRecords widget.

This way, you just need a submit button and avoid "Ajax-ination" of your screen. Let me know if this worked for you.

Cheers!
Pedro -

Yes, thanks. I already knew how to use them, I just wanted to make sure that for this case, I had to put them in a Web Block or outside the Edit Record.

The idea that a ListRecord or TableRecord cannot appear within an EditRecord needs to change. There is a LOT of functionality I need to do, but cannot, because of this! Either that, or the Radio Button widget needs to be a lot smarter. :D

J.Ja