Using a 32-bit Text Editor to edit windows 64bit configuration files

Using a 32-bit Text Editor to edit windows 64bit configuration files

Hello everyone,

Recently I was having issues uploading a large solution to an Agile Platform installation that I had just configured to test a customer’s problem: Whenever I clicked 1CP I would get a 404 error. After a couple of tries, and since the error message was not giving me any more information, I went to check IIS error logs to find out more. This is what I found:

2012-12-07 17:45:28 POST /ServiceCenter/Solutions_List.aspx - 80 - Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64)+AppleWebKit/537.11+(KHTML,+like+Gecko)+Chrome/23.0.1271.95+Safari/537.11 404 13 0 417

For anyone that does not know this yet, IIS has more specific error codes than just 404. In this case it was 404.13. You can see in Microsoft Knowledge Base[1] that this error means:

404.13 - Content length too large

In this situation this means that the HTTP POST expressed content length was greater than the maximum value configured in IIS. The solution I was attempting to upload was only 35MB (36700160 bytes), and the configuration we recommend in the installation checklist is quite larger than that:

<requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="134217728" />

So... had I forgotten that step? I connected to the server by remote desktop and opened up the file in notepad++, but the configuration was there and an IISReset did not improve the situation.

Given that the configuration and the error were contradicting each other, I purposefully broke the XML formatting and restarted IIS... and it started correctly with no errors. So this meant that IIS was not reading the configuration file.

Me and a colleague did a short online search and we came up with an interesting article in stackoverflow[2] that shed some light on the subject:

Apparently when you use a 32 bit application to edit one of windows 64-bit files, you are not in fact editing that file, but a copy of the file that is to be used in 32 bit applications.

I confirmed this by opening the file with windows’ notepad instead of the 32 bit copy of notepad++ I had been using since I installed the server and the configuration was indeed missing. After fixing it and restarting IIS, I was able to upload the solution and went on to investigate the customer’s issue.

[1] “The HTTP status codes in IIS 7.0 and in IIS 7.5” -
[2] “IIS 7.5 applicationHost.config file is not being updated” -