"String_Split" action is returning extra records

"String_Split" action is returning extra records

Hello Community members,

I am using "String_Split" action from "Text" extension. This action must split records as per delimiter.

I want to break my string based on "NewLine" characters hence giving delimiter as "NewLine()" but this action is returning me extra records which I want to avoid.

Is there any other way to split text based on NewLine() character?

or if I am doing anything wrong over here?

Thanks and Regards,
Suraj Borade
Solution
you are not doing anything wrong, but splitting text based on newlines can be tricky...

especially, since the string_splits works on single characters only!

When you have a newline is can be (and most often is) 2 characters...namely \n and \r
Thus, when call the string_split, it will split "foo\n\rbar" in 3 records, "foo", "", "bar"

Solution
Hi J,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried to give delimiters as "\n\r" and "\r\n".

It worked partially. For some fields it broke string based on NewLine characters, for some string, it replaced characters "r" and "n" with newlines.

Not getting what to do to get correct result.
Hi Suraj,

Maybe using regular expressions (see link below) to replace the newline characters with a new one (like "$"). So after you can do the split with the replaced char.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1331815/regular-expression-to-match-cross-platform-newline-characters

Hi suraj,

it doesn't matter if you provide delimiters as \n\r since it will delimit on 1 character only!

I would go for Andre's suggestion, or simply remove the empty-records in the list.
You could also use a Replace() first, replacing all the CRLFs. You don't need a regex for something this simple.