Inbound Email processing

  

Hi there, I am new to Outsystems and have a question about inbound emails;

I understand sending outbound emails to recipients is a standard feature of the platform, but can you process inbound emails? One example is where customers reply to an 'Outsystems' generated email - is there a way to receive/read these emails and action some process in Outsystems, e.g. update a record? Another example is where customers send new emails to a support email address - can these emails be received to e.g. create a ticket to be viewed by support staff in their Web App?

Hi Leon,

Yes, this is possible. Your emails are sent to a mailbox and you can read the contents of the mailbox from OutSystems and process the mails from the mailbox to create for instance a ticket in your own Outsystems application or to create a ticket in an external system that has an API to create tickets.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Remco Dekkinga wrote:

Hi Leon,

Yes, this is possible. Your emails are sent to a mailbox and you can read the contents of the mailbox from OutSystems and process the mails from the mailbox to create for instance a ticket in your own Outsystems application or to create a ticket in an external system that has an API to create tickets.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Hi Remco - thanks for your response. Great to hear that it is possible for OutSystems to read/process emails in a mailbox - any chance you could explain how this is technically achieved? I have not found any article/post so far providing insights into how to do this.

Cheers

Leon


Hi Leon,

You just need to go to Manage Dependencies... and add the dependency to the RichMail extension (it is a system extension, part of the OutSystems platform). Among others, you'll see actions that allow you to interact with a POP3 server.

I much prefer an approach where you use a service like sendgrid or mandrill to handle the mail, and when it arrives there they make an API call to your application passing the mail along to your app.


J.Ja

Justin James wrote:

I much prefer an approach where you use a service like sendgrid or mandrill to handle the mail, and when it arrives there they make an API call to your application passing the mail along to your app.


J.Ja

How can I fetch my e-mails using sendgrid?


Clara Cruz Correia wrote:

Justin James wrote:

I much prefer an approach where you use a service like sendgrid or mandrill to handle the mail, and when it arrives there they make an API call to your application passing the mail along to your app.


J.Ja

How can I fetch my e-mails using sendgrid?



That's a question for the sendgrid documentation, but once it is set up, you just call their REST APIs to check the email, and they probably have a system where they call YOUR Web Services to let you know that new messages are ready to be picked up.

Also, please do not respond to old, answered threads, to ask a related question... start a new thread. Thanks!

J.Ja