Free account limitation

Free account limitation

Hi,

I'm attending a master degree in mobile computer in at a University in Portugal.

I start my project in Outsystems whith my account free but I have questions about account limitations:

- The space available in the free account is 2Gb, right?

- I will work in this account about 12 months to develop the web and mobile project. If I do not access the account for 1 month, for example, I do not have the account blocked? Do you guarantee that I will always have access to the account?

In this project I need to make sure I do not lose access to my account or data.

Best regards
José Reigado

Hi José,

Yes, the limit is 2gb and no, you won't loose your applications. 

You will see that once in a while your personal environment will be turned off (sleeping is what Outsystems calls it), but with one click on the platform page of the outsystems website you can wake your environment and will be available in less than 30 seconds. 

To give you an example: My environment is running for over 10 years now.

Good luck with your project!

Remco Dekkinga

Solution

Hi.

Yes, you have 2GB, but not all of that is controlled by you. You can check current status here

https://yourserver.outsystemscloud.com/LifeTimeCloudConnect/Environments.aspx

The Personal Environment isn't guaranteed so here are the main rules you should be aware of:

If you don't access for a month, the server goes to sleep and you get an email warning about it. If you let it sleep for two more weeks, your data is removed and you get a link to save your projects (data not included).

You may lose access to your server due to several reasons. Most updates are requested by the owner and the mandatory ones are made with a warning one or two days before. Unless there is some problem, it should be up when you need it.

You don't have any warranty over the data, so you better develop some data download/upload to keep it safe. I never lost mine is all those years, but it can happen.

Solution

And by the way... Which are the limitations concerned to the register users?

TIA

They recommend to keep it below 100 users. Check the rules here:

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Personal_Environment/What's_an_OutSystems_personal_environment

Thank you for your reponse. I will think about wether I will develop the project in Outsystems Platform or another IDE because my project it's a scientific work.

Best regards

José Reigado

Thanks Nuno for your prompt answer.

Though are you sure a project done in Outsystems will be enough for your project? 

I'm not sure what the requirements are for this project... most of my projects require me to code something in java or python :(

Claring wrote:

Though are you sure a project done in Outsystems will be enough for your project? 

I'm not sure what the requirements are for this project... most of my projects require me to code something in java or python :(

I know a person that completed a master's degree in IT only in OutSystems. it all depends on the degree of complexity required, but in OutSystems you can write code to add functionalities.

Nuno Reis wrote:

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Personal_Environment/What's_an_OutSystems_personal_environment

If you exceed 100 User, what can happen?

Murillo Folha wrote:

Nuno Reis wrote:

If you exceed 100 User, what can happen?

Performance issues. OutSystems has no interest in giving for free a fully functional tool that you can use to run your business in. The free version is limited in space, and performance is thought for small tests, not for a real-use scenario.

To my master's degree, I did an FB app in OutSystems that was used by 165 people. Performance was less than ok because I add over 250k poorly indexed rows of info. However, it was a use-once scenario so I had almost no concurrent users. With parallel accesses, it can be worst.

Nuno Reis, once again, thank you! Want an application to store some information about games. Something basic, but I do not know how it will be used with many users.