Setup a dropdown widget on a mobile application

Setup a dropdown widget on a mobile application

  

Hi all,

I'm sorry if my question is too simple, but I have been searching for a day for the answer.

How can I do a setup of a dropdown widget in a mobile app? I don't understand the parameters that it needs!! (variable,list,values)???? I've tried all the semi tutorials in the forum. 

Can I define in the expression editor something like list = ["a", "b", "c"]. Do I have to create a database? Cos' I have done that but I can relate the type "record list" with it.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Fernando Costa


I find the same thing Fernando.  It's straight forward enough once you're really good with OS, but being new to OS, like anything else, it's sometimes frustrating to do the simplest things.  I think I have this right.

I have a Dropdown Widget... named Dropdown1.


The Variable is myDropdownValue.  This can be used to feed the Dropdown a value... or get a value from the Dropdown.  The Variable is set in the screen by right-clicking the screen and choosing "Add Local Variable".  This Local Variable is how you get and set the current value of the dropdown.

Next... the Dropdown needs a List.  This means that the Screen must contains a data source.  Right-click on the Screen and choose "Fetch Data From Database".  This opens a screen where can Click and select a Database Entity.  I had already created a Static Entity named "DropdownLists" in the Data tab... to which I added a few records.  This is a whole process to understand just by itself.

Once the Database Entity is added to the Screen... it is now available to your Dropdown... and should just show up in the List property of the Dropdown.

Once the List property is set... the Values property should show you a List of the Attributes in that Entity.

Also, my Local Variable has a Data Type of Text... so I choose a Text Entity Attribute for my Values property.

Hope this helps a bit.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Did you tried the documentation? ;)

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Reference/Mobile_Interfaces/Designing_Screens/Dropdown

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

Yes, I have tried the documentation.What I want is an example, not a text description of the variables.


HibFernandi,

And why do you need an example? The documentation describing each property seems pretty clear to me.

Can you tell what you didn't understood from the docs? This info could be used to improve documentation.

You also have an example setup in docs: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Design_UI/Inputs/Choose_One_Value_from_a_List

And if you search the forum you will find many questions with examples :)

Besides that, the online training also have this information...

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

HibFernandi,

And why do you need an example? The documentation describing each property seems pretty clear to me.

Can you tell what you didn't understood from the docs? This info could be used to improve documentation.

You also have an example setup in docs: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Design_UI/Inputs/Choose_One_Value_from_a_List

And if you search the forum you will find many questions with examples :)

Besides that, the online training also have this information...

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo,

Please don't be so paternalizing. It maybe simple for you, because you have experience, but for other people may not be so simple. 

Hi Fernando,

You are seeing things where they aren't.

I asked you what you are not understanding in the reference, so that the documentation can be improved. Exactly because it is pretty clear for me, but I understand that for dome it may not. Without knowing what is not clear, we can't help improve it.

I also pointed you with another documentation showing an example and noted that if you search the forum, you will see lots of examples.

Not to mention that there is an online training where you have doc and example on how to do this.

The key point here is that I'm not being rude or condescending you in any way, and I'm pretty sure you are absolutely able to do those searches by yourself.

Just google "OutSystems mobile dropdown".

Cheers, 

Eduardo Jauch

Davidk wrote:

I find the same thing Fernando.  It's straight forward enough once you're really good with OS, but being new to OS, like anything else, it's sometimes frustrating to do the simplest things.  I think I have this right.

I have a Dropdown Widget... named Dropdown1.


The Variable is myDropdownValue.  This can be used to feed the Dropdown a value... or get a value from the Dropdown.  The Variable is set in the screen by right-clicking the screen and choosing "Add Local Variable".  This Local Variable is how you get and set the current value of the dropdown.

Next... the Dropdown needs a List.  This means that the Screen must contains a data source.  Right-click on the Screen and choose "Fetch Data From Database".  This opens a screen where can Click and select a Database Entity.  I had already created a Static Entity named "DropdownLists" in the Data tab... to which I added a few records.  This is a whole process to understand just by itself.

Once the Database Entity is added to the Screen... it is now available to your Dropdown... and should just show up in the List property of the Dropdown.

Once the List property is set... the Values property should show you a List of the Attributes in that Entity.

Also, my Local Variable has a Data Type of Text... so I choose a Text Entity Attribute for my Values property.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Davidk,

Your explanation is exactly what I was looking for. It works perfectly! And it is as you said, when you are new to the OS, the simple things sometimes take a lot of time to understand.

With this, I understood, so thank you so much for this! 

Again thank you and best regards,

Fernando Costa




So what you're saying is, for example, my case where I need to show a list of two things: "Male" and "Female", I have to create a database entity to use those in a dropdown?

Yes... I believe so.  The data... Male and Female... must come from somewhere.  A database entity can be dynamic (my word) or static.  Dynamic being, for example, a SQL table.  A static entity is a table created inside the application where you create attributes (fields) and then assign data to those attributes... all done within the UI.

Crap forgot about static entities! Now I'm remembering! Thanks!

If you use external database with your own crud stuff, it doesn't automatically fill in the field you want to see in the dropdown, if you know whats missing it will be simple but this made me crazy, just drag a field from your struct into the combobox and the error disappears. Otherwise in the properties window everything is fine, but in the screen editor it shows a red box and it also displays an error in the real time compiler.

regards,

Wim

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Fernando,

You are seeing things where they aren't.

I asked you what you are not understanding in the reference, so that the documentation can be improved. Exactly because it is pretty clear for me, but I understand that for dome it may not. Without knowing what is not clear, we can't help improve it.

I also pointed you with another documentation showing an example and noted that if you search the forum, you will see lots of examples.

Not to mention that there is an online training where you have doc and example on how to do this.

The key point here is that I'm not being rude or condescending you in any way, and I'm pretty sure you are absolutely able to do those searches by yourself.

Just google "OutSystems mobile dropdown".

Cheers, 

Eduardo Jauch


See what other developers replied that is the problem with the Outsystems docs they are not that useful

Just check the docs of Android, Ionic, Flutter that's how reference document should be

Hello Narendra, 

Let's avoid keep bringing the subject of the documentation on so many topics ;)
Even more because most of them are not related to this subject in particular.
You can give your feedback here: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/42355/give-us-your-feedback-about-your-training-experiences/?utm_source=community&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=forum-reply=#Post153094

Cheers.