I would like to be a freelancer using Out-systems, is it possible?

Hi guys,

I have been learning Outsystems for about over a month already. I have finished an online training course on how to build a web application using Outsysytems. I would like to offer my service as a freelancer web developer using Outsystems. Do you guys know any websites that they need this type of developer? Or where can I find some website project ideas, so that I can apply what I have learnt to build some real websites? 

Please help me. 

Thank you

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

https://www.outsystems.com/community/Jobs.aspx

Thanks, man. Apart from this one, are there any external websites where I can find project ideas or proposals? I just want to apply what I have learnt in the real world, thus I would not mind building a website for free. 

Hi Boybabyrage,

Freelancers are typically very experienced developers, with a lot of bagage, that because of that can negotiate being hired in corporate environments that would otherwise select a company to hire developers from, especially one that partners with the supplier of the development tooling*. Since you are a very, very novice developer, I'd say your best course of action is to get hired as a junior developer of such a firm, work with experienced developers to increase knowledge, try to become an expert in a couple of years, and then check the market for freelancers. Currently, as someone who is just beginning with the Platform, you have no chance whatsoever to work as a freelancer.

*With OutSystems, being targeted at enterprises, this is even more so, as large companies typically don't want to hire freelancers if they need more than a single developer (which they often do).

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Boybabyrage,

Freelancers are typically very experienced developers, with a lot of bagage, that because of that can negotiate being hired in corporate environments that would otherwise select a company to hire developers from, especially one that partners with the supplier of the development tooling*. Since you are a very, very novice developer, I'd say your best course of action is to get hired as a junior developer of such a firm, work with experienced developers to increase knowledge, try to become an expert in a couple of years, and then check the market for freelancers. Currently, as someone who is just beginning with the Platform, you have no chance whatsoever to work as a freelancer.

*With OutSystems, being targeted at enterprises, this is even more so, as large companies typically don't want to hire freelancers if they need more than a single developer (which they often do).

Hi Kilian, 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I've been a OS freelancer for about a year now. But I had around 7 years of experience before.

Besides the typical freelancing warnings, remember that OS is focused in big companies with big budgets that want things done fast and with warranties. With a month of experience, you don't have a chance. Even I was never hired as the single developer. Always subcontrated by a consultancy firm that creates a team were I usually take the lead due to my experience.
I have one project in queue where I may be the only developer, but even for that one they want me to be subcontrated by a big company.

To gain experience, just do stuff. Browse the components in Forge and see how you could improve them. Check the job offers, see if they describe the desired product and try to do it on your own. Do things you need.

Nuno Reis wrote:

I've been a OS freelancer for about a year now. But I had around 7 years of experience before.

Besides the typical freelancing warnings, remember that OS is focused in big companies with big budgets that want things done fast and with warranties. With a month of experience, you don't have a chance. Even I was never hired as the single developer. Always subcontrated by a consultancy firm that creates a team were I usually take the lead due to my experience.
I have one project in queue where I may be the only developer, but even for that one they want me to be subcontrated by a big company.

To gain experience, just do stuff. Browse the components in Forge and see how you could improve them. Check the job offers, see if they describe the desired product and try to do it on your own. Do things you need.

Thanks for sharing man. I just wanna learn and apply what I learnt into a real website project or something similar. By chance, do u know any external websites where I can find website prototypes or idea? It may be in other programming languages, but I would like to try if I can build some of them using OutSystems. :) 

Look at freelance hiring sites anything asking for web or mobile developer. If it can be done, probably it can be done in OutSystems.

Hi there- I'm looking for someone to develop a prototype multi-experience app for mobile/desktop that involves large databases and very rapid response time with some caching of local data on smartphones. The smartphone app is very basic- essentially 8 sliders, and prototype database straightforward. Small budget, but also share options in global startup if you can deliver, plus opportunity to become part of a global virtual development team. Email me on rlw777@me.com for more info if ur interested.

Hi Robin,

The best place to post job offers is the Job Board, thanks.