I am using Outsystems 10 and trying to consume a REST API (single method)

I have copied and pasted the REST Request and Response JSON definitions into the Request and Response text boxes provided by OS REST API. I used the "TEST" button to validate if it was working - I received a 200 OK message. When I closed the dialog - Oustystems automatically created the Request and Response objects.

When I invoke the same REST method through the UI, it is raising a parsing error.

I switched to returning a JSON String and then Deserialize the JSON String, it still raises an error "Failed to parse response of the method 'APIItemSearch' of the 'Enterprise' REST API:

Parsing '': Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path '', line 0, position 0."

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

REQUESTS OBJECT

{  

"CountryCode":"US",

"SearchString":"Ford Escape"

}

RESPONSE OBJECT

{  

"Options":[  

{  

"Field1":0,

"Field2":0,

}

],

"SearchStringUsed":"String",

"CountriesFound":[  

{  

"Key":"String",

"Description":"String",

"Count":0

}

],

"ModelYearsFound":[  

{  

}

],

"MakesFound":[  

{  

}

],

"ModelsFound":[  

{  

}

],

"MatchedCriteria":"String",

"NotMatchedCriteria":"String",

"IsNotExactMatch":false,

"ResponseStatus":{  

"ErrorCode":"String",

"Message":"String",

"StackTrace":"String",

"Errors":[  

{  

"ErrorCode":"String",

"FieldName":"String",

"Message":"String",

"Meta":{  

"String":"String"

}

}

],

"Meta":{  

"String":"String"

}

}

}

Hi Ravi,

Very likely you are getting a HTML error page as response, given that the complaint is about a "<" at the very first position. I would like to suggest to turn on the debug logging for your REST service, and check in Service Center what's really sent and received.

I think the only problem is the comma after "Field2:0", not sure what else would be wrong. But as I already said, the error indicates something else alltogether, so my advise stands.

Sorry, but I see commas everywhere? My go-to validator is here, and it shows only that one error I already spotted with my bare eye.

Hi Ravi Subbarao,

The Entire JSON will be  Valid If you only correct additional comma.

Ref: https://codebeautify.org/jsonvalidator

Hope it helps,

Assif

It seems Assif agrees with me, Eduardo :).

However, again, that has nothing to do with Ravi's original question, as that syntax error in the JSON will be picked up by Service Studio, so I'm sure Ravi just copy/pasted parts of a larger JSON. In the error message, it clearly states there a "<" in the respons at the first position, and that's very common in case there's some error that makes the web server send an HTML error page instead of JSON.

Hi Kilian, Assif and Eduardo

I was able to resolve the issue. I had forgotten to append "?format=json" at the end of the REST url. So it was returning a HTML doc instead of a JSON object.

Regarding the "," in the JSON - I had edited the Correct JSON  to simplify  the number of  fields  (50).

I want to thank you all for helping me - I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Ravi Subbarao wrote:

I was able to resolve the issue. I had forgotten to append "?format=json" at the end of the REST url. So it was returning a HTML doc instead of a JSON object.

Regarding the "," in the JSON - I had edited the Correct JSON  to simplify  the number of  fields  (50).

Thank you.

Happy to know... You Resolve :)

Keep Coding..

Cheers,

Assif

Ravi Subbarao wrote:

Thank you.

Hi Ravi Subbarao

I also have the same error when consuming rest API. But I can not use your way to solve my problem.

Is there another way to check row json data if I fetch data from other Sources? 

Thanks

Aron Yang wrote:

Ravi Subbarao wrote:

Thank you.

Hi Ravi Subbarao

I also have the same error when consuming rest API. But I can not use your way to solve my problem.

Thanks

Hi Aron,

Can you share you JSON data?

both req and response would be much helpful.

Dhiraj Manwani wrote:

Aron Yang wrote:

Ravi Subbarao wrote:

Thank you.

Hi Ravi Subbarao

Thanks

Hi Aron,

Can you share you JSON data?

both req and response would be much helpful.

Hi Dhiraj Manwani

I add another new post for more detail information including json data. https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/53361/parsing-error-when-consuming-rest-api-on-mobile-app/#Post199737

Could you help to take a look?

Thanks

BR,

Aron