The slow morph of our society due to the shift of communication models

The slow morph of our society due to the shift of communication models

Based on a study that you can say that 55% of our communication is perceived by body language, 38% by voice/tone and only 7% by words, I will embark on an investigation on how our short-text oriented social dynamics is influencing our way of establishing a relationship with other human beings. Interested in helping out?
I'm in. How can I help?
Well, a good first exercise would be trying to infer from the way I've chosen to compose my original post and this one, my emotional state of mind; A thing that would be relatively easy to determine by phone and Instinctively obvious if we were chatting in person, do you agree?
Could you be in a hurry or stressed about something?
I say this because you wrote shooting out information non-stop without providing enough pauses / paragraphs to let the information sink in.
In a way, it seems you are more interested in dumping information than getting the message across. :)

Perhaps the exercise works better if you write as you normally do (an happy chump) and just quote the exercise parts. Otherwise readers will just try to track your emotional state fluctuations across exercises taking you for a mad man. hehehe

Very well Davide. And thank you for the suggestion.
Now I can reveal that the original post was written like that on purpose.
You have identified correctly my state of mind (I was indeed nervous) and I seized the opportunity to convey that into the post. 
Notice also that I have written it also in a "twitter" style. 
So a first scientific observation that I wanted to throw to the table is: Twitter and SMS. What is their contribution to miscommunication? 
I postulate here that our brain (especially when we are in our teens and twenties) is extremely plastic. Can't it become formatted to this style of communication? What happens when we expose these people then to situations when they have to use all their skills (body language, tone, grammar)?

Fábio Silva wrote:
Twitter and SMS. What is their contribution to miscommunication? 
That's a tricky question.

We could argue that they have a positive contribute to communication in that they force the writer to squeeze out the value of what they want to transmit (so that it fits the twitter/SMS length limits).

One obvious downside is that these forms of communication are way too amenable to the creation of "shorter languages"/SMS languages that can hamper the message reach. \m/ :D ;)

Good point that you make Davide and I thank you for introducing the "SMS languages" theme.

The SMS languages are symptom of one of the main effects of the "short-text oriented social dynamics" that I refer to in the original post: "1. The Generation Gap".

I propose that we, in our thirties/forties, are noticing already a difficulty in communicating with the early twenties.   It is my experience that when talking to a person in its early twenties I have difficulty in maintaining him or her focused on our dialog. 
It seems that they have an attention span only of "143 characters". Note please: I don't judge. I only state facts.
However, when observing the early twenties communicating amongst themselves, I see that they understand each other, although for me, when watching from the outside, I have to activate my young people translator or else I find myself watching a very dynamic "dance" of complete gibberish.

Anyone ever noticed this?
These sites will help getting through to the 20's crowd: :)
The issue here is: I'm not worried that I don't understand them.
1 - I'm worried that I can't get through to them
2 - I'm trying to size the considerable effort that they might have to do in the future to get through to us, when they find themselves in circumstances where they have to articulate a well prepared speech/dialogue/presentation/meeting/debate/exchange of ideas, etc.
3 - What I also have experienced is that this generation in general, have some writing issues (grammar problems, sentence construction issues, message conveying problems).

Naturally, this is a generalization. You're free to disagree and welcome to do so.
Hi guys, nice chat that's going on here! Very deep Wednesday hey?

Why are you just talking about the "new" generation? What about our generation, that seems to think that a slide deck is a way to pass information?!

I my believe that all things evolve and there's no "bad" way to communicate. The trick for me is to be able to bridge that and understand what's behind the writing.

Do you really think that the "new" generation have communication problems? Wasn't that what we were told when we were the "new" generation in our time?
Hello Pedro,

First of all, Thanks a lot for your precious insight and your collaboration.

If you read my replies and original post again, you'll notice that I have been extremely careful not to judge, just to point facts as they appear to me.

I couldn't agree more when you say that there is no "bad" way to communicate. The real strategy is to build a "bridge".

I used the term "generation gap" with an inflammatory purpose (notice once more, the care I'm having when writing these texts).

There isn't obviously a strict "generation gap" as these people in their twenties aren't our sons and daughters. However, what I mean here is that, with the speed of technology, there is no longer a need to wait for a generation to start to see some difficulties in communication with people with only ten/fifteen years of difference.

This has downsides to both parts. That's what I'm challenging the participants on this post to think about.
In other words: The twenties people might run into problems when they're trying to convey an important message to a thirties/forties person (which in a professional environment, can probably be their superiors) and conversly, a thirties/forties person can also have problems explaining themselves to a twenties person due to the different mental process that is going on there.
As you can see: No judging here - Just stating my perceived facts. (which is the stance I will always try to assume when discussing these subjects)

As for the issue of the slide decks: Once more, couldn't agree more and once more, it is a technology driven warped communication model. (First the slides, then the transparencies, then PowerPoint...)
Personally, I have several techniques to counter this particular issue, but I believe that escapes the scope of this thread. If you're interested in discussing this, we can talk... face to face :-)
On the previous replies, I have introduced another proposed effect of our "short-text oriented social dynamics".
Note: Please don't lose focus. We are studying the "
short-text communication oriented social dynamics on people's relationships".

This effect is: "2 - Mind plasticity"

God knows that I have already had to exercise a termendous effort to achieve, what I consider, a sufficient level of good communication skills; Be it on writing, on telephone/skype/others or in person/presentations. 
I justify this with a childhood and adolescense closed to myself, with few friends, mostly reading books and working with computers alone. (no internet at that time...).

When I start working, at the tender age of 14, I understood that I couldn't put two words together and nobody could understand me satisfactorily in a work environment in such a way that, although I was technically good, I got fired from my first job.

I worked very hard to reach the level I'm at. I had to put myself outside my confort zone numerous times and it was painful, as my mind was already "formatted" for a style of communication that was not compatible with whom I needed to make myself understood to.

The message here is simple: Awareness, Introspect. Look to yourself and see if you are reaching your target  audience. Don't be afraid to ask feedback. Doesn't matter the communication means. It is possible to achieve good communication skills just by wanting to. Your brain remains plastic for a long time.
Here I am, stepping into this conversation.

I remembered this thread when I was watching this TED talk. The main thesis is that texting is not degrading the way we communicate, but instead is bringing writing closer to the way we speak.

Very interesting stuff.