Sending SMS in Service Studio V 7.0

Sending SMS in Service Studio V 7.0

Dear Members,

Pls let me know the basic steps required to design a SMS flow in Service Studion V7.0.Our requirements is to send a SMS message to the user whenever a job fails.

Thanks
Ravi
Hi Ravi,

First you will need to know how SMS Flows work and I suggest you search for "Design SMS Flows" here in community (the link is here http://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/7.0/SMS_User_Interface/Design_SMS_Flow.htm).
You will also need to have an SMS Gateway configured which is not a trivial matter.

Regards,
Tiago Leão
Hi again Ravi,

You can also check the following post here in the forum regarding the SMS gateway.
http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/3427/sms-gateway-installation-from-scratch-os-included-guidelines-for-dummies/

Best regards,
Tiago Leão
Thanks a lot Tiago for your reply. I have one more question in my mind.
For sending SMS messages do we also need to have a contract with Mobile Service Provider ?
Ravi Vakkalanka wrote:
Thanks a lot Tiago for your reply. I have one more question in my mind.
For sending SMS messages do we also need to have a contract with Mobile Service Provider ?
Hi Ravi,
The answer is Yes..you do have to have a contract with some Mobile Service Provider.
You got to have a gateway and that equipment is always (I think....as I know) related with a Service Provider to be able to use their communications.

Hi Ravi,

If your requirement is just that simple (sending an SMS, with no answers back from the user via SMS), an option could be to integrate with some SMS service provider via webservice. We have one community component that integrates with Clickatell, but there should be other services you can easily integrate with (google search).
The SMS flows in the platform are a better fit when you provide SMS message flows back and forth between your users, and need to keep track of long running SMS interaction sessions.
Would that be a better fit?

We did a Twillio integration, it was EXTREMELY easy. They already have a .NET component, all you need to do is wrap what you need in Integration Studio. It took us less than an hour to expose what we needed. I'd post it as a component, but their functionality is so big and I only wrapped a few functions, it doesn't make sense to post it.

We looked at using the built-in SMS stuff, and we REALLY wanted to use it! But the problem is setting up/maintaining Kannel, plus the various contracts, was more work than we were willing and able to spend. If SMS was a bigger part of our strategy I would definitely do it though.

J.Ja