LifeTime Performance Monitor

Hello all,

In the brand new version 8.0 we've extended LifeTime with a tool to measure the performance of your applications - the Performance Monitor. The challenge here was to extract the same performance perception the end-users experience in your applications and display it in a way that allows you to discover and predict future problems in your infrastructure.

Sometimes when a user complains that one application is slow, the problem might not be on the server side but on the network or on his browser.

Let's take a look at it...

From the entry page we get an overview of the entire Environment. This information includes a global performance Score, a trend (it is getting better/worse?) and also information about load times and page views.

We calculate the Score according to an industry standard called APDEX. Basically if the page takes less than 2 seconds to completely load the users are 
satisfied, more than that they are just tolerating that request... but if it takes more than 8 seconds they start to get frustrated. I can explain the formula details if you are interested :)

Getting back to our example, w
e can see that this application has a very low performance and a very negative trend.

Digging into it we get into the Application view where we can get a very clear view of the negative trend in this special case.

We can drill down once again, now into the Module view. Here we can see that the problem is centered on the "dashboard" screen (1) which is the one that gets most of the page views. In this phase you can also jump to ServiceCenter (2) and analyze if the server has any evidences of low performance on this module.

Another interesting usage of this tool (looking at another example) is the possibility to identify scalability issues. In this simple example we can see that for the last month the increasing number of visitors seems to be related with the decreasing performance of the application. This is a good indicator that you might have problems with your queries (not ready to scale) or just a hint that you might need another front-end server soon.

Curious about it? That's not all..

Performance Monitor also allows you to:
- Configure which environments you want to monitor (1)
- Configure performance by application (2)
- Configure email performance reports (3)
- Create custom monitoring through the Performance API (remember the Geo Performance plugin?)

Best regards,
Hélio Dolores

Great Post Hélio!
Hi Sir,

May I just ask, if this is only available in Standard License/Enterprise License only?

LifeTime and LifeTime Monitoring is by default only available on Enterprise subscriptions of the OutSystems Platform.

If you need to use this, please talk with your account manager, and you may be able to work something out.
Thanks Sir Ricardo for the reply. :)
If I'm not using Lifetime on my Production environment, do I have other options to monitoring my applications on that environment?
Hi João,

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly, but either way here it goes. You don't need to install LifeTime on the Production environment. LifeTime should only be installed once for your entire infrastructure. It's recommended that you install it in an environment on its own.

To get metrics about the performance of the applications running on your Production environment, you just need to register the Production environment in LifeTime.

If you don't have LifeTime to manage your infrastructure, then you can still use the Monitoring and Analytics functionality from the Production environment Service Center.
With it, you'll get metrics like slow queries, or slow integrations.

The main benefit of LifeTime performance monitoring, is analyzing the performance from an end-user perspective, and then dig in to understand what is causing the user experience degradation.

Joao, thanks for your reply. I didn't make myself clear. Sorry for that. But you have already answer my question.
Just for clarification... I use Lifetime just in my internal environments, development, test and pre-production. The client's homolog and production environments are hosted outside my company. We deploy new versions by sending an OSP to the datacenter.
Like you said, if I don't have the lifetime features I have just the ServiceCenter reports, ok?

Really thank you for your time.
Joao -

They can still install Lifetime and use it for the Performance Monitoring.

I've a problem with the Performance Monitor Email Report.
When I receive a report and I want to click the link "Open Performance Monitor", the url redirect is to "http//" without the double dots "http://".

Is this a configuration option or is it a bug?

Check this screenshot for an example:

Probably a bug.

That link is generated using the OutSystems Platform builtin capabilities referencing a page.

Would you like me to open a support ticket in your name to follow up?
Hi Ricardo, 

Yes, that's very kind of you.