How to get a binary file from HTTP request body?

How to get a binary file from HTTP request body?

Hi guys,

I'm building a RESTful API and I need to receive a binary file from the HTTP body request. How can I get the binary data???

I'm trying to use methods from the HTTPRequestHandler but I didn't found any method to do this.

Please, help me :)
Carlos -

You can use the "GetRequestFiles" Action in HTTPRequestHandler. :)

J.Ja
Hi Justin,

I've tried and it didn't work.

To test this, I'm using a Chrome tool called Dev HTTP Client. In the headers, I put Content-Type: multipart/form-data (I've read that this structure is only filled this way) and I pass a file through the body but GetRequestFiles is always empty. By the way, I do a HTTP Post. Is that ok?
Carlos -

That's strange. It *should* be fine with POST.

I would try using GetRequestContent to verify that what you expect to see is being passed at all.

J.Ja
Hi Justin,

This is the request content (I hide some information with ????):

POST /?????????/CreateOrUpdateEducatorNotes.aspx?EducatorNoteId=55&UserId=2&Description=Test&TagDailyMoodId=5&ClassroomIdsToAssociate=5,4 HTTP/1.1
Connection: keep-alive
Content-Length: 879394
Content-Type: multipart/form-data
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8,pt;q=0.6,pt-PT;q=0.4,es;q=0.2
Cookie: osVisitor=f163c2b7-0190-4a64-a859-ebb2ee56318e; ASP.NET_SessionId=eaa5yqzzyarxz045vpcm3lbx; ServiceCenter=08-07-2013 22:40:0711969731124; pageLoadedFromBrowserCache=true
Host: ??????
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.116 Safari/537.36
Origin: chrome-extension://aejoelaoggembcahagimdiliamlcdmfm

????JFIF``??Adobed??]ExifMM*2b;vGFGI???? ?i}?2009:03:12 13:46:42Corbis?????54??54??2008:03:14 13:59:262008:03:14 13:59:26)19HH????JFIF??C
(1#%(:3=<9387@H\N@DWE78PmQW_bghg>Mqypdx\egc??C//cB8Bcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc??x?"??
???}!1AQa"q2???#B??R??$3br?
%&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???w!1AQaq"2?B???? #3R?br?
$4?%?&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?K????|`?*[m?Gx?*??)=?r|??<?)?.f?Y~b=q?xv?U???s/#???j??kH?1?????? ??n?^?1q\s?`?]?B????<???????E"?"??7D:?K?V.?I?dS??j??w?2l???=H???u? ??q??~ ,??p???Wm.J??? x???nh??F???;??????ocW????R?&??????vz????,bf??'???~5n?k[L?Dm?=??,??7?7TWrk&N7)??S%???I#??S0??U??c

It seems like the binary file is there!

Yes, it's there, but it doesn't look right to me.

The content-type is "multipart/form-data", but the body is not formatted to indicate the different parts or the encoding types, the body itself *is* the binary data. There's no boundaries, for example.

See the RFC for details:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1867

J.Ja
Many thanks Justin!

Thanks to you, I've tried another client (Fiddler) and now I see the differences. The request is different and the image is already "catched".

I hope this is a bug on the first client I was using! :)
Carlos -

Glad to help! It definitely sounds like a bug with that tool.

J.Ja