[Content Management System] Is CMS a viable system? Any examples?

[Content Management System] Is CMS a viable system? Any examples?

Forge Component
(0)
Published on 2010-05-05 by Pedro Oliveira
0 votes
Published on 2010-05-05 by Pedro Oliveira
Hi,
We are evaluating OS to build a multi-tennant app with CMS capability.  Can anyone provide a live or demo url or real-world feedback on this? Thanks.

Peter
You can find several live demos at the App Catalog
http://www.outsystems.com/apps/

Regarding multi-tenancy, there is this technical note that has a sampe application:
Peter -

I've worked a fair bit with CMS' in the past, and even built one of my own in Perl back in 2000, so I think I can speak to this topic a bit.

I think that a CMS in OutSystems would be very good, with a couple of suggestions.

Here are my thoughts:

* OutSystems makes it very easy to do the "hard parts" of a CMS in terms of UI, database manipulation, etc.

* If your CMS is going to require users to be able to create custom fields, tread cautiously. You *can* do this, but you'll need to do some smart architecture. Send me a private message if you want details/specifics of how I would go about it, I am trying to be brief here.

* I would write the template engine in .NET or Java (whichever you use for your stack) as an Extension in Integration Studio. If you are using .NET, I would very seriously consider using IronPython or IronRuby within the extension to process it as a real, interactive template; using ERB or Sinatra as a model with IronRuby would be a real winner in my book, especially if you can then support Sass, Less, CoffeeScript, and the other "cool kids" technologies that a lot of the front end/CMS folks are using now.

J.Ja
Hello Justin,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions about how to integrate the 'dynamic' technologies. I'm a huge fan of Ruby, Smalltalk, Python, Javascript.  I wish JavaScript and/or Smalltalk could generate IL code for the .NET runtime, but the Microsoft .NET VM has it's limitations (as does the Java VM).  Certainly, IronPython or IronRuby are very good. Some interesting comparisions here: https://www.udemy.com/blog/modern-language-wars/

I did sent you a private message. Would be pleased to connect on this topic.

Justin James wrote:
Peter -

I've worked a fair bit with CMS' in the past, and even built one of my own in Perl back in 2000, so I think I can speak to this topic a bit.

I think that a CMS in OutSystems would be very good, with a couple of suggestions.

Here are my thoughts:

* OutSystems makes it very easy to do the "hard parts" of a CMS in terms of UI, database manipulation, etc.

* If your CMS is going to require users to be able to create custom fields, tread cautiously. You *can* do this, but you'll need to do some smart architecture. Send me a private message if you want details/specifics of how I would go about it, I am trying to be brief here.

* I would write the template engine in .NET or Java (whichever you use for your stack) as an Extension in Integration Studio. If you are using .NET, I would very seriously consider using IronPython or IronRuby within the extension to process it as a real, interactive template; using ERB or Sinatra as a model with IronRuby would be a real winner in my book, especially if you can then support Sass, Less, CoffeeScript, and the other "cool kids" technologies that a lot of the front end/CMS folks are using now.

J.Ja
Excellent tips, Justin.
If someone start to do something like this, it would be great to share it and even to do it as a team.
This seems a nice challenge and idea.

Kind Regards,
GM

I thought there was some discussion a few (maybe 6 months) ago about a group of people here in the community forums developing such. There was considerable chatter but have not seen much since then??? I think JJa was involved somewhat too???? Maybe help me out here JJa....

Cheers

Mark -

I was interested in the project, but at the time (and still the case :( ) I just do not have time to be deeply involved in any projects which aren't tied to an actual business project.

J.Ja
Mark Bayles wrote:
I thought there was some discussion a few (maybe 6 months) ago about a group of people here in the community forums developing such. There was considerable chatter but have not seen much since then??? I think JJa was involved somewhat too???? Maybe help me out here JJa....

Cheers

http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/9891/the-experiment-an-agile-platform-community-driven-project/#Post32631