espace entitity prefix

espace entitity prefix

Hi.

How can I force my espace to always use the same entity (database table) prefix.

I have an espace that always used the same prefix, something like:

OSUSR_8CU_<entity_name>

An now it started using a new prefix:

OSUSR_GT6_<entity_name>

How can I prevent the Outsystems Platform to continue generating tables with different prefix for the same espace?

Shouldn't the espace always use the same prefix or is there anything that could push the espace to use a new one?

Are you sure you haven't cloned the eSpace? I've never seen this behaviour, and we have eSpaces dating from 4.2...
I've renamed the espace, and it seems that when the espace is renamed is starts using a new prefix.
Now, every time I create a new entity it creates a table in the database with the new prefix.

The worst thing is that if I publish this espace on a new environment it creates all the tables with the new prefix :\
So, now I need to recompile all the views, stored procedures and reports I had on the other environment.

In my opinion the platform should use always the same prefix for its entities, if I rename the espace or not. This would guarantee a database naming logic.
Well, the platform doesn't really support accessing the tables outside the platform. That's why I'd love to have native views.
Carlos Henriques wrote:
In my opinion the platform should use always the same prefix for its entities, if I rename the espace or not. This would guarantee a database naming logic.
Yes, but would cause huge problems if another eSpace happens to use the same entity name.  If you have to have this functionality, there is a way to do it unless you are using the Personal Environment.  It's all documented in this post - http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/3444/configuring-the-physical-table-name-format-for-entities/ - be very mindful of all the comments in that thread that suggest extreme caution before chosing to do this.  The concerns were enough to make me change my mind about doing it.

Hope this helps.

Curt Raddatz wrote:
Carlos Henriques wrote:
Yes, but would cause huge problems if another eSpace happens to use the same entity name.  If you have to have this functionality, there is a way to do it unless you are using the Personal Environment.  It's all documented in this post - http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/3444/configuring-the-physical-table-name-format-for-entities/ - be very mindful of all the comments in that thread that suggest extreme caution before chosing to do this.  The concerns were enough to make me change my mind about doing it.

Hope this helps.

What I was saying is that the platform should always use the same prefix for the each espace (not for all espaces) and not change it if I rename the espace.
If I rename an espace its just the same application with a differente name, and it should'nt start using a different prefix for the tables just because of that. It should be consistent and keep using the same prefix for the new tables, and if I publish the application on a new environment each table should have exactly the same physical name on both environments.
I suspect this would pose challenges to implement which is probably why it doesn't work that way.  If you really need this, set the ENTITYNAME setting described in that thread and you should be able to get what you want as long as you make sure all entities are unique.  The way I've done this in the past is to make one eSpace that has all the entities and reference it in all other eSpaces.  This guarantees the uniqueness of the entity names.

Another way to do this, again assuming you are not using the Personal Environment, is to create all the tables natively in whatever database you are using and then create a database connection that the eSpace uses.  This would probably eliminate all the issues you are having.
When I read something like this, my immediate response is, "you may be doing something that is not a good idea". If you are writing something to directly access those tables... don't do it. If you absolutely *must* access them directly, then you need to make a script which creates views to the real tables, using the metadata in ossys_entities and the related tables, and run this script on a "When Published" timer. This is really the only really good way to access your tables through SQL and have reliable, consistent table/column names, and even then you need to account for columns being added/dropped in OutSystems, but remaining in the database.

J.Ja
That script idea is a good one, never tought about that.
It solves the problems with the views and stored procedures, but still have the problems with reports.
Carlos -

Report against the views. Other than it being time-intensive to develop and test this (there is an item in the Forge you can use as an example, by the way, search for "views" I think should do it), there are no downsides to this issue.

One of these days I will just make a component to make this drag/drop easy to put into an app...

J.Ja