How-to send emails from your personal environment

How-to send emails from your personal environment

tldr; get an account on a free email delivery service (such as Mandrill); configure the SMTP credentials on Service Center: https://<YOURPERSONAL>.outsystemscloud.com/ServiceCenter/Email_Configuration.aspx
--------
Hi all,

The personal environment does not include a pre-configured SMTP server so it's up to each personal environment owner to configure the SMTP serve they want to use.

One option would be to use their gmail account to send emails but WE ADVISE AGAINST IT (see this discussion for the why).

At this point we recommend that you create an account on a free email delivery service and then use the SMTP credentials provided by that service to configure your personal environment. To do this visit the page below on your personal environment and fill in the missing fields and then click Apply.
https://<YOURPERSONAL>.outsystemscloud.com/ServiceCenter/Email_Configuration.aspx

The emails won't go out immediately but you can check their status on the page below:
https://<YOURPERSONAL>.outsystemscloud.com/servicecenter/Email_Logs.aspx

If the emails are stuck there for too long (and the SMTP settings are indeed correct) drop us a note at success@outsystems.com so that we can help you troubleshoot the underlying issue.

Cheers!
Davide
Hi Marques,

I am still getting an error while trying to send an email through outsystems. Can you please provide a solution and also I want to use timer while sending email could you suggest any solution for my problem 

Below are the screen shots for Error description and Configuration settings. Let me know any setting changes are required on this..
All suggestions are open for all..........Error Message

Personal Config settings
Regards,
Venkatesh Gude

Hi Venkatesh,

Thanks for sharing the connection info, with that I was able to check if the smtp is running and available on that host/port:
C:\Users\dlm>telnet smtp.nihilent.com 587
Connecting To smtp.nihilent.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port
 587: Connect failed

C:\Users\dlm>nslookup smtp.nihilent.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

*** UnKnown can't find smtp.nihilent.com: Non-existent domain

Contrast this with a connection attempt to mandrill's server:
C:\Users\dlm>telnet smtp.mandrillapp.com 587
Connecting To smtp.mandrillapp.com...
220 smtp.mandrillapp.com ESMTP

You might want to check with the person managing the SMTP server if it's running on that port / why it's not publicly available.

After getting the SMTP server up and running on that port if you continue to encounter email delivery errors please reply here so that we can continue to troubleshoot the issue with you.

Cheers!
Davide
Davide!

I am using gmail as service provider with port 465 as below but still I am getting the same errors as mentioned above.. Help me on this
Find below screen for better understanding

Regards,
Venkatesh Gude
Hi Venkatesh,

To send emails via gmail you need to set the port value to 587 (related discussion).

That said I'm not sure email delivery via gmail is A-ok at this point in the personal environments.
Currently waiting for an update on this discussion:
http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/12185/gmail-smtp-problems-with-the-outsystems-platform/

If you are experiencing issues please join us on that other thread.

Cheers!
Davide
Davide!

Now I am Getting below error 

PRS4208DEV5163
Module:
Email
Error sending email 71134: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful

Let me know the cause of this error...

Regards,
Venkatesh Gude
Hi Venkatesh,

Just got an answer on the other discussion and it seems that the gmail fix isn't readily available for the personal environments. For the time being I recommend getting a Mandrill account and using Mandrill's SMTP server to send emails from your personal environment.

Cheers!
Davide
Hi guys,

I used so far mandrill app, that is quite good! I would like to switch now on my company server this mean Micosoft Exchange. I'm inserting all the informations, but there is no way to make it work. Do you have suggestion?

Many thanks
Simone
Hi Out-Systems,

I have tried https://mandrillapp.com/api/docs/ with my existing yahoo mail.

But, now it showing as "Pending" email status?

Any idea of when is it going to be possible to send an e-mail to a gmail account on the personal environment?
Hello everyone,
i'm trying to send email from my system but it showing status Pending. i tried so many things but still its in same state, i tried with gmail,yahoo,rediffmail,mandrilla.
 ihave attched image of my email configuration . please please help me with what changes i have to do. 
thanks a lot in advance !
Hi Panky,

Your specific case was handled by our Support Team, that found out that your scheduler service was on an erroneous state. After restarting it, the issue was resolved and all the email started to be sent.

Cheers!
Nuno
Hi guys,

So the emails im trying to send only end up with a status of pending. Can anyone provide insights on why this is happening i have also attached a screenshot of my configuration on the smtp

Regards
I tried One.com -> Pending .. i tried Gmail -> pending - > I tried Mandrill -> pending.
Selected to upgrade the platform and waited for 30 minutes for the system to restart. All mail suddenly started to work with my Mandrill configuration. Restart did something good.
Hi Nuno,

I have the same problem with emails becoming pending.

I tried to change the SMTP server from GMAIL to vodafone.pt as per advice from your forums. Nevetheless the queue still has 22 email backlog and is not able to solve it.

How can i reset the scheduler or email service?

Thanks in advance,

Nuno Parreira wrote:
Hi Panky,

Your specific case was handled by our Support Team, that found out that your scheduler service was on an erroneous state. After restarting it, the issue was resolved and all the email started to be sent.

Cheers!
Nuno

Hello Francisco

Sorry for the problem with the emails. We're having a few problems with some SMTP protocols, which cause a lock in the email sending mechanism in our infrastructure. Hence the queue and all the pending emails.

Currently, we're having problems with some connections to SMTP servers using a secure channel (SSL) on port 465. So I advise not to configure this protocol until we fix this problem. The smtp secure protocol STARTTLS on port 587 and the plain text on port 25 should work properly.

Even if your personal is not configured to send emails on the secure channel SSL over port 465, it still may be affected, which was the case.

It should be ok now, but the email queue will take a while to be processed.

Let me know if you get any more problems with sending emails.

Thanks

Cheers

Miguel

Hi,

I was trying to configure to send a email but i couldn´t. 
I followed what Davide posted but with hotmail and all the email stay in pending status.
If anyone know how to solve this it let me know

Thanks

Cheers
Hello Jorge,

As state in my previous post, port 465 won't work. Please change the port to 25 (plaint text) or 587 (starttls).

Then check in again in this thread so we can unblock the email sending processes.

Thanks

Cheers
Hi,

I have configured my SMTP server but still i am having &#39;0&#39; is not a valid email address. Error 

how can i overcome from this situation?

Thanks 
Hello Subhaj Mishra

I suggest you debug your application up to the sending of the email, as the email addres configured in the sender or the recipient is not valid.

Let me know your findings.

Cheers

Miguel
I have configured email..... It shows error    "Error creating Email: 500 Internal Server Error"....
Help me to fix this...

Hi vinodhini sri,

Do you have access to the configured email server? Googling that error, it seems related to an SMTP syntax error: the server couldn't recognize the command. It may be caused by a bad interaction with the server during the SMTP conversation. Are you able to get access to the logs in the email server end?

Also, are you able to establish a simple telnet connection and send an email through SMTP protocol in your command line (example here) on that same email server?

Cheers,
Pedro
...sorry, that 500 Internal Server Error actually might be related to the creation (rendering) of your Email, occuring in the OutSystems Platform server instead. Are you able to get a more detailed log from your Service Center console?
Thank you so much.....!! I got a solution...! 

I have an another Issue... I have an excel sheet including  Managers name and mailId.. In my application iam getting input from the user to select the manager, then if they pres a button, i should send a mail to that particular managers's mailid..... how to i configure my mail box to fetch that particular Id??

Good idea. Thank you !!

I am Getting this Error, Please help if any one knows about it