How are you preparing to HTTP/2?

How are you preparing to HTTP/2?

The HTTP/2 specification is out. It will change the way websites are built.

This improved protocol replaced text with binary, more compact and efficient, compresses headers, and used a single mutiplexed connection to load simultaneously all type of data. All servers and browsers will start supporting this protocol very soon, specially those huge .com companies that send TBs of information daily.

I don't think this is a concern in the mind for developers, even though the internet will change completely and most websites optimizations will be useless So I ask to my fellow developers:
-Did you knew?
-Does this makes you happy or worried (or both)?

And to OutSystems:
-How is your roadmap to the Platform affected?
Hi Nuno my two cents,

As a developer answering your questions I can say that this week I also learned about HTTP2 through some tech news sites I frequently visit but I wasn't aware previously. Currently doesn't worry me and I can say that anything that will make the applications faster for my customers is cause for joy :)

Regarding you final questions and despite the fact I work at OutSystems I cannot give you an official answer, but I can definitely give my opinion :)

I can tell you that OutSystems does not disclose the roadmap publicly but given the fact that in our R&D department we have the brightest minds in the business working around the clock to make the great product that we have (not trying to advertise here as with we I mean all of us that use it and because I already used the product long before joining the company and I consider it also "mine" since long ago), I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some people might already be looking into this.
But considering this just came out and even at the browser level the support is scarce I'd say is a bit to soon.

Hi understand you Guilherme. I know the work OS has been doing for the last few years and I believe you are ready for anything that appears, but this change was also a surprise for me and it is huge, a structural change for the internet. To the conventional websites I have, I'll be worried with:

-the server admin bit
Having to update, patch or maybe reinstall key software and all new security issues

-local file structure
Considering the the files will be sent in batches, I'll try to keep them more logically grouped in the file system.

I'm old school and coded html in a black and white notepad (as well as in paper). I'll do my best to do good code, but I guess most developers and dev tools may relax a bit in terms of performance concerns. But I guess we'll see a different level of improvements and a new way to think the internet, with more complex pages (HTML5 was planned for that) and a new universe of possibilities and applications.

By the way, it's likely that HTTP/2 will be mostly transparent to web applications.

As soon as the underlying application server supports the protocol (IIS, jboss, weblogic), the OutSystems Platform should be able to receive HTTP/2 requests out of the box.

Other functionality (REST APIs) will probably require tweaking to support that, but as long as the libraries allow it, shouldn't be too hard.
I would say this:

1. I suspect that HTTP/2 will be like IPv6 in terms of adoption.

2. I would be certain that IIS or Tomcat will handle HTTP/2 100% transparently and my application will NEVER notice the difference, just like my application doesn't notice the differences in SSL versions.

Unless your application opens a bare socket and starts issuing HTTP over the wire, you won't know.

Now, if I was still using the CGI model, I'd be pretty concerned right now. :)

IPv6 was mandatory because of an infrastrcutural limit that we are getting closer by the day. HTTP/2 is recomended because of a band limit that we will reach eventually, when everything is goes digital, but no more underwater cables and no more air frequencies can be created, or no more servers can be bought because of metal shortage.

Ok, both are overcompensations like the Y2K bug was. But we like the adrenalin and every disruptive change should be known, even if it never goes forward. Like you both said, the application servers will handle it, but we should know what goes on under the hood. We think in before saying 2 digits is enough to save the year. We no longer define size 15 attributes to store IPs. We know they are, or will be, size 45.