3 Applications 1 Menu

3 Applications 1 Menu

Good day All,

I have broken up our solution into smaller functional application.

The challenge I'm having is in that the menu's does not work for me.

How do you suggest I go about having 1 integrated menu that is used by all of the application to have the experience as if it is one application.

Regards,
Andre
Hi Andre,

Have an application with the common menu in it, and reference that from the other applications.
Woud'nt that be considered a circular reference? (Is it acceptable?)

Common Menu App 
- Reference App1 ( to get all the entry points )
- Reference App2 ( to get all the entry points )
- Reference App3 ( to get all the entry points )

App1 
-Reference Common menu

The result is that everything is Dependant on each other and thus make the sprilt in to different applications useless?
You should use URLs in the menu links, instead of referencing the actual eSpace (otherwise you'd have circular refrences anyway).
Hmmm,

Sorry for this stupid question :) (Very new)

How do I use a URL in the menu link?
The menu web block has ordinary links in it, you can use those via an External Site. You can do two things: either have an external site for each menu option, setting the URL property of the External Site, or have a generic one with a URL parameter you set.

Steps for the first option:
1) Right click on the web flow, chose "Add External Site".
2) Give it a sensible name, e.g. "FinanceReport" or the like.
3) Set the URL to the URL of the entry point or webscreen, e.g. "/Reporting/FinanceReport.aspx".
4) Set the link in the menu to the External Site

Steps for the second option:
1) Right click on the web flow, chose "Add External Site".
2) Give it a sensible name, e.g. "ExternalSite" or the like.
3) Add a parameter to the External Site, name it "URL" (any other name won't work!).
4) Set the link in the menu to the External Site, and set the URL parameter to the entry point or webscreen (e.g. "/Reporting/FinanceReport.aspx".
Thank you very much for the help!
Big suggestion here... if you use URLs, do the following:

1. Make an Entry for each page you want to add to the menu.
2. Extend the MenuItem and MenuSubItem static entities to have an Attribute for "EspaceName" and "EntryName".
3. Add the espace and entry name for each menu item/subitem to the static entities.
4. Make a function that uses GetEntryURL() and gets the espace and entry names from the static entity.

This way you have a centralized place to control where those links come from and you can safely rename pages without breaking links... or add another page in the same espace (but a different flow) with the same name without breaking links...

J.Ja
Just one more tip.. if you not find the "ExternalURL", don't forget to verify if you CommonFlow has a External Site configured with a URL parameter as frenquent destination.
@Justin: Not a bad idea at all, although you still have to change the stastic entity if you decide to rename the entry point. After all, iirc, the entrypoint URL is visible in the browser.
@André: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I detailed in my post above how to add an External Site. How can it not be configured?
@Kilian, you are correct. I'm sorry, but probally I've left my browser window open without refresh it, so I didn't see you last comment about that... I'll be more careful next time.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
@Justin: Not a bad idea at all, although you still have to change the stastic entity if you decide to rename the entry point. After all, iirc, the entrypoint URL is visible in the browser.
@André: I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I detailed in my post above how to add an External Site. How can it not be configured?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

That's correct... but much better to rename it in a static entity than go digging through looking for all the places it has been typed. :(

The REAL solution is for Entries to become a kind of system-managed Static Entity, which I've put into the Idea system somewhere... and then give a "GetEntryURL" that works directly on them...

J.Ja
That would indeed be neat!