Copy one record to another record?

Copy one record to another record?

The problem: Integration studio and service studio can not use the same record or record list.

You can not simply assign the record/recordlist you create in integration studio with the record/recordlist you create in service studio. Even if you created extactly the same record names with extactly the same attributes; Outsystems platform will treats them as different type of record/recordlist (because ideally under the hood they are different record/recordlist).

What is the easiest and more efficent way to copy the values from service studio record/recordlist to integration studio record/record list and vice versa!? (Instead of converting to object to JSON/XML, then JSON/XML to object OR assigning each attribute at a time using the assign widget!)

There are too many attributes to assign one attribute at a time, its too time consuming to do this and it is very inefficent!

Robert,

First, be aware that "assigning record lists" means that you create another reference to the list, not that you create a new list. That said, I'm a bit lost by your use case. If you need that structure with the exact same attributes, why not use the Integration Studio one everywhere? Why create a new one in your eSpace? Also, it seems you're surprised by the fact that "under the hood they are different", but that also goes for two identical structures in two eSpaces with the same name. It's not any different for Integration Studio.

That said, on platform 9 the ListAppend(All) has a very powerful feature that lets you append different types of records to each other. In case the attribute names are the same (i.e. as in your example the structures seem identical), the conversion is automatic.

As for assigning Records with different types, you do not need to "assign each attribute at a time". Just assign the first attribute manually, then chose "auto complete" to assign all attributes. This feature has been around since version 6, I think.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
why not use the Integration Studio one everywhere? Why create a new one in your eSpace? Also, it seems you're surprised by the fact that "under the hood they are different", but that also goes for two identical structures in two eSpaces with the same name. It's not any different for Integration Studio.

That is my fault, most attributes are extactly the same, some structure have extra attributes. The identitcal record attributes that are the same should be copied over, the different record attributes will obviously needs to be manually assigned.  If that can be done that would be great!

It would be ideal, if we could have integration studio built into service studio, this way the developer can share structures, entities, etc... and dont need to recreate structures in integration studio.
That said, on platform 9 the ListAppend(All) has a very powerful feature that lets you append different types of records to each other. In case the attribute names are the same (i.e. as in your example the structures seem identical), the conversion is automatic.
ListAppendAll works with simple structures with attribute, but will not work with structures that have attribute recordlist of record type.

As for assigning Records with different types, you do not need to "assign each attribute at a time". Just assign the first attribute manually, then chose "auto complete" to assign all attributes. This feature has been around since version 6, I think.

In regards to records, the "Auto complete" feature, do you mean suggestion? I use suggestion feature, but not "auto complete" to assign all attributes?

(To use suggested attributes, I click to select the attribute, double click on the attribute I want to select, then click to assign the attribute via suggestion dropdown list)

Robert,

Yes, if you specify as the destination list for the ListAppendAll the list with less fields (from the eSpace), and as source list the list with more fields (from the extension), then it should work as you want.

As for the auto complete, I mean the "Auto Assign" feature of the assign widget, which Service Studio shows in case it detects you're copying two structures with identical names and types:

Auto assign, might do the trick! btw... i actually never seen this feature before, I never ever seen it turn blue with auto assign!.. I will try it tomorrow!
Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
Robert,
As for the auto complete, I mean the "Auto Assign" feature of the assign widget, which Service Studio shows in case it detects you're copying two structures with identical names and types:

Hello Kilian

I must say, thanks for pointing out this "Auto Assign" feature, strangely enough I never spotted this feature until you mentioned it! I would manually assign each and every field by hand, it would take a very long time, not anymore! this auto assign feature solves that problem, thanks alot!
Hi Robert,

I think this feature has been around since version 6, but it might be 8. Anyway, glad I could be of help :).
Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
Hi Robert,

I think this feature has been around since version 6, but it might be 8. Anyway, glad I could be of help :).

...Learning something new everyday! :)
Good! :) Don't forget to explore the ListAppend(All) new feature as I described, it even works when passing lists as parameters to actions, like this:

and to know Robert is one of the ancient guys on these forums :)

It's hard for ancient guys to learn the new stuff :)
It's all good J, we can learn from each other! :)
:)

An overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood!