How to redirect to a page after a Download?

How to redirect to a page after a Download?

Hi guys, 

I need the user to be redirect after it downloads a file. The scenario is: The user clicks on a button, the file is downloaded and right after a message is displayed and the page is redirected. Ive already tried a lot of things, but my scripts are not being executed when I put the Download endpoint in my action...

How can I achieve this? any ideas?
André - I sincerely think you must be using the client side redirect.
From a preparation, the easyest way is using as destination a "ExternalSite" instead of the screen directly and The GetEntryURL is a method from the HTTPRequestHandler extension. Just do a Add Remove References to add it.

To make it work you might have to clear the cache of your browser and the temp system %temp%

Another thing you can use the action MakeAbsoluteUrl()  on the extension HTTPRequestHandler
to garantee that your URL is always right in every environment ;)

Hi,

There are a couple topics on the forum regarding the subject.
The bottom line is: the way browsers handle downloads it is not possible with a single page/action.
That is why almost all sites redirect to pages with "download starting in a few seconds" as workarounds.

This topic has a solution like that.
There are also some solutions that involve having having javascript clicking and invisible link, but they are a bit tricky and browser dependent. I've seen some bowsers in the past just abort all javascript running in the page when they get a download ...so that breaks most solution attempts that do not involve extra pages/tabs/iframes.

Regards,
João Rosado

Kayala Sunil wrote:
André - I sincerely think you must be using the client side redirect.
From a preparation, the easyest way is using as destination a "ExternalSite" instead of the screen directly and The GetEntryURL is a method from the HTTPRequestHandler extension. Just do a Add Remove References to add it.

To make it work you might have to clear the cache of your browser and the temp system %temp%

Another thing you can use the action MakeAbsoluteUrl()  on the extension HTTPRequestHandler
to garantee that your URL is always right in every environment ;)

Hi Kayala. I've tried to redirect by this way.. no success. It's like João said, it is not possible with a single page/action since the browser seems to kill my scripts at the expense to download...

João Rosado wrote:
Hi,

There are a couple topics on the forum regarding the subject.
The bottom line is: the way browsers handle downloads it is not possible with a single page/action.
That is why almost all sites redirect to pages with "download starting in a few seconds" as workarounds.

This topic has a solution like that.
There are also some solutions that involve having having javascript clicking and invisible link, but they are a bit tricky and browser dependent. I've seen some bowsers in the past just abort all javascript running in the page when they get a download ...so that breaks most solution attempts that do not involve extra pages/tabs/iframes.

Regards,
João Rosado

João, I've already tried the insvisible link trick, but as you well said, no success.. I'll take a look at that topic or try the second page workaround. 

Thanks!

André - then I think we must use some sort of javascript which can be called in for the event... Sometimes very simple operations takes hellava time in OS... 
err no,

like joao said. redirecting after a download is not simple by default.
Nothing to do with outsystems