Integration of CA Plex .DLL files

Integration of CA Plex .DLL files

Hello, for our customer who uses Outsystem we need to integrate the 'old world' this customer uses with the new world with the use of Outsystems. We want to integrate .DLL files (or .EXE files) through a call to this DLL or EXE in outsystems.
 The DLL has been created in C++. Could you please give us a clue in what directoin we have to look for a solution?
Thanks very much for your response!
Hi,

It simply means you are going to call unmanaged code in your extension.
check out : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa984739(v=vs.71).aspx
and for example http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19450783/how-to-use-dllimport-in-c

Thanks for you quick response, I am going to study the example.
The CA Plex dll needs a Plex run time environment (a bunch of DLL's) do I need to include these all in the Visual Studio Project?
Interesting. How did you get on?

Ineke de Raaf wrote:
The CA Plex dll needs a Plex run time environment (a bunch of DLL's) do I need to include these all in the Visual Studio Project?

hello George,

We managed to generate existing CA Plex functions in C# (makes a .dll file) and call this .dll file in a seperate sort of 'shell' C# program which integrates with OutSystems. We used Integration Studio for that. 
We have a very satisfied customer now!

greetings,
Ineke

George Jeffcock wrote:
Interesting. How did you get on?

Ineke de Raaf wrote:

that is excellent...something for Forge....the 'Shell'...get more Plex customers looking at Outsystems

Hi Ineke,

I am just playing around looking for options for CA Plex customers.

Plex generated WCF SOAP services fit well for .NET stack and actually you can gerneate WCF for the plex model for the plex java objects.

I read http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/17802/com-objects-as-extensions/  which I guess you were reusing Plex server objects as com objects?

Lastly in CA Plex help there is good section called "Calling CA Plex C# Functions From Third-Party Applications"  like outsystems and you used that with http://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/9.1/index.htm#t=Integrating_with_other_systems%2FImplement_Logic_with_C__and_Java_Code.htm

I think you have gone for the last option?

My question is it all on premise? WCF could be made external on IIS but but certainly a headache.

Cheers
George
hello George, Yes we have gone for the last option with Integration Studio. We made our Plex .dll (.NET code) and added this .dll into the references of a Visual Studio Project. Allso the Plex.Controls.dll and the Plex.ObRun.dll are included in the references. This VS Project is being called as an action in OutSystems. 
greetings,
Ineke
so is it all on premise? Or can you Paas? 

Does the Plex generated C# dll or code library get deployed to your espace as it were?
yes, the Plex generated dll is deployed to the espace together with the VS project it's included in. Customer doesn't have an OutSystems on premise environment.
One more question Ineke,

Where does the customers DB (SQL Server I'm guessing) reside? On site? The applications developed are therefore in house within the DMZ I guess.

Thank you for answering as this may be unclear to others and this will be a nice thread to reference for others who would like to reface CA Plex applications.

Cheers
George

The Plex part that's been added to the OutSytems functions has nothing to do with the DataBase. 
The Plex part is only calculationstuff. 

Calculationstuff that does not access any DB is pretty unusual so the customer has calculator functionality that most likely helps them be omni channel and you want the calculator logic shared between applcations?

the problem was that the calculations where mostly allready made in the 'old world' they are using for many years and they wanted to have the same calculations in the Outsystem platform on time. They were forced into this because of their tight time schedule.