ComboBox, special list + aggregate list

ComboBox, special list + aggregate list

So I have a combo box, it has 2 "special items" and a list of values coming from an aggregate. Those "special items" are not being set to it's respective variable, why? 

I have it working, but it involves hacky work-arounds - anyways, this scenario really begs to question.. why would "special items" not be set to the local server variable?
Daniel,

I assume by "special items" you mean an item from the Special List? The reason why their values are not put into the Variable bound to the combo box is twofold: for one, the combobox Variable is often an identifier, and it makes sense not to allow non-existing identifiers; and two, you can have special items with a Value that's of a different datatype, that you can use for easy checking.

That said, the platform provides a Special Variable that can be used to assign the selected Special List's item's Value. I don't see why this should involve a "hacky work-around".
I ended up switching the data-type to text, and in the preperation concat the two lists (special list + aggregate data), that way I can maintain the logic with one variable instead of checking against two (and also have dynamic "special list" values instead of hardcodes). I get why the platform didn't want to bind an unknown-type to a strongly typed variable; I just found one dropdown binding to two variables a bit non-intuitive. Thanks for the reply!