Avoid using preparation data in screen actions\

Avoid using preparation data in screen actions\

it is said : "Avoid using data created in the screen preparation in the screen actions. For instance, instead of using the tablerecord record data, use only the ID of the row and fetch the data from the database again is needed"

tablerecord record »?! what is this? 

Can you clarify the last line as well, please.

I see that many developers CALL the preparation data in the SCREEN ACTIONS. For example, they use SQL blocks in the preparation and then in a SCREEN ACTION they put the SQL blocks again and refresh them connecting to the preparation data. Isn't this against the rule for a good performance?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jorge,

Where are you reading that?

Regards,
Thomas

Hi Jorge,

Although I cannot comment on the technical veracity of what is claimed on that page, I've never seen performance problems caused by using preperation data in screen actions. That said, I may just have never come across a use case where that mattered.

As for your question "tablerecord record »?! what is this?", this refers the common use case of fetching a set of records from the database in the Preperation, and using a TableRecords widget on the screen to display that data (the TableRecord's Source Record List property typically set to the output list of the query). Say you have a screen action that is triggered by a button or link inside each row of the TableRecords. What OS suggest in the article you linked, is that in case you need data from that row (i.e. several columns), instead of using e.g. MyTableRecords.List.Current.MY_ENTITY.MyAttribute1, you fetch the data you need from the database again, based on the main Id of the current record.