"Set as 'Home'" to include application on Users app

"Set as 'Home'" to include application on Users app

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share something I noticed the other day and which I don't see being documented anywhere.

I have an application that had 2 or 3 modules without any screens, only data model, roles, logic... As so I didn't select an eSpace to "Set as 'Home'" for that application. Meanwhile, I went to Users app to look for the application:

Well...

The application wasn't listed, it didn't show up! However, if I wanted to select a role from that app to add to a Group or User, the roles would appear on the drop-down.

So basically, if an Application doesn't have an eSpace as 'Home' it won't be listed on "Applications" Menu.

Is this supposed to be this way? What's the reasoning behind it?

Cheers,

Tiago

Solution

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for submitting this. Let me walk you through history =)

Around version 6 (I believe) we decided to create the concept of Application, but applications were compose by a single module, meaning that you could modules (extension or eSpaces) that would work like libraries and then you could have eSpaces that were considered applications (there was actually a property to set as an app). 

As time passed by we noticed that we had to improve the concept, so we created what we have now as apps, or almost... actually at the time apps should have a back office or a front office (something mandatory except for independent modules), so all apps that should be listed in the list you are showing, I think that during the same project we removed that restriction, and Users stayed like that, don't remember exactly why... long story short, I'm getting too old :P

Once again thanks for the feedback =) 

Solution

Hi José,

Thanks for sharing where this comes from. That helps me try to keep the strength to share other stuff I've found before too.

We sound like two old gents :D

José,

There is a reference in the eSpace entity to "BackOffice_eSpace_Id" which based on your explanation is a legacy configuration and is no longer used?

It is something I came across when looking at OSNowServices which I found strange.

Ouen

Correct =)

Ouen Worth wrote:

José,

There is a reference in the eSpace entity to "BackOffice_eSpace_Id" which based on your explanation is a legacy configuration and is no longer used?

It is something I came across when looking at OSNowServices which I found strange.

Ouen