Manage External database connection in Extension

Manage External database connection in Extension

Hi,

My question is around connecting to an External database. One of the approach I found at the below link wherein we could defined the multiple external database connection in the Service Center and then use one of them in the Extension

http://www.outsystems.com/help/SErviceStudio/9.0/APIs/RuntimePublic_API/Use_Cases/Query_Data_from_an_External_Database.htm

But somehow this isn't working for me.

Also, how do we debug the code written in the extension? I mean like we can debug the outsystems by starting the debugger and I also put a break-point in the extension and then try to manually attach the debugger - we normally do in ASP.NET application. But it isn't working for me.

It would be huge help if someone could guide me on this and provide some reference link/code

Thanks in advance,

Karamvir Mor

Hi Karamvir,

The option to use external database connection works fine as mentioned in the url , can you please let me know what problem are you facing while using this.

For your second issue there are two options to debug your extension.

1. Create  a test project in the same extension to test it.

2. You should have visual studio in the same environment where your platform server is and then you attach w3p process using visual studio and debug your extension.

Please see this link 

How to debug a .NET Extension

Regards

-PJ-

Hi.

What is not working exactly?

Does errorlog say anything?

Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the quick response.

We are on the Cloud and doesn't have access to the Plateform Server. So, we can debug only using the Test console application, right?

I did try to run through the code in the Visual Studio by creating a TestExtension Console app.

Here is my extension code & Testing app code:

Most important how do we debug the code in the extension. I set a break-point in the extension but the break-point is not hit.

I created a TestExtension console application

But when I run it I am getting the below error message:

Thanks in advance

Karamvir Mor

Pramod Jain wrote:

Hi Karamvir,

The option to use external database connection works fine as mentioned in the url , can you please let me know what problem are you facing while using this.

For your second issue there are two options to debug your extension.

1. Create  a test project in the same extension to test it.

2. You should have visual studio in the same environment where your platform server is and then you attach w3p process using visual studio and debug your extension.

Please see this link 

How to debug a .NET Extension

Regards

-PJ-

Hi J,

Thanks for the reply:

Here is my extension code

I created a TestExtension console application

But when I run it I am getting the below error message:

Thanks,

Karamvir Mor

J. wrote:

Hi.

What is not working exactly?

Does errorlog say anything?

Hi,

Does anyone encountered such issue on the extensions? We are not able to change the Database connection and even couldn't debug it further.

Could someone help us in this?

Thanks,

Karamvir Mor

Hi Karamvir,

Are you still struggling with that issue?

On a Cloud installation, as you don't have access to the server, there are two alternative ways to help you debugging an extension:

• Creating a console application

Please refer to Antonio Chinita post here.

• Using Log Audit

Just need to add to your extension code GenericExtendedActions.Audit(AppInfo.GetAppInfo().OsContext,"AUDIT MESSAGE", "MODULENAME"); and the message will be registered in the Service Center General Log.

This should help you understand where the issue could be.

Please share with us if you were able to get it working and what was missing in your implementation so so our community is aware of it when trying to do the same.

Cheers! 

Hi Luis,

Still I am having the same issue. Error is occurring at the highlight line:

And when I tried to log the error, below error is coming:

Thanks,

Karamvir Mor