[Firebase] No third-party service required?

[Firebase] No third-party service required?

Forge Component
(3)
Published on 6 Oct by OutSystems Labs
3 votes
Published on 6 Oct by OutSystems Labs

Hi,

I have a doubt - this component doesn't require any third-party service or hosting , right? 

Previously for chat I had to setup a third-party server with socket.io support, but with this component I can do that on outsystems cloud solely and do not need to edit any server side code? 

Thanks for clarifications.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Mykola,

Actually this component is a wrapper for a third party server with a socket javascript API.
You'll have to create an account at Firebase and a firebase application.

To use the component you need to pass the FirebaseSecret and AppURL as parameters.
For usage examples please refer to ShoutSystems application (a chat sample app).

Regards,
Francisco

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for reply but I'm a bit lost after registering firebase account... I've created a new app but what to do next? I have "Web API Key" , "Project ID" and "Database secrets","Server key (legacy token)" and on Shoutsystems properties there are DemoMode, FirebaseSecret and FirebaseURL ... what stands for what here? Is there any server code I should deploy to my firebase app or setup something specific? 

I will appreciate any guidelines and if there is a link to step-by-step documentation that would be perfect.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Nick

Solution

Hi Mykola,

Unfortunately we don't have a step by step guide. I'll add that to our backlog as Firebase is a component and should have a FirebaseDemo module with that kind of explanations (sorry).

You can find the necessary credentials here:

URL

Secret

This were the names used on Firebase SDK 2, which is the version supported by the component, but their current website is formatted for SDK 3, so it is a little confusing as the names have changed. I'll check that out and probably change the name of the site properties for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback.
Regards,

Solution

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll start implementing shout systems in our app and was wondering will I need to do anything else on firebase account or console (like creating database or storage etc.)? Or I can just use my key and copy logic and entities from shoutsystems to our app?

Thank you.

Hi Mykola,

You can copy the logic and entities from ShoutSystems and then change a couple of things in order to connect the entities with your Users. Keep in mind that ShoutSystems is its own user provider. 

Also, this is not the simplest of the chat applications, it has a couple of tweaks and extra features, some of them you can remove to simplify the adoption of the app.

If you have any questions while doing this adoption please open a new post on the ShoutSystems component and we'll answer asap.

Regards