Calling a Screen Action on Extended Properties (onblur, onfocus, etc)

Calling a Screen Action on Extended Properties (onblur, onfocus, etc)

Hello fellow OutSystems friends,

I am currently working on a functionality on an input button's onblur to call a Screen Action (Let's name it OnInputBlur). Here's an example:

Input1: Free text input
Disabled Input2: Generates information from a Screen Action (OnInputBlur) when Input1 loses focus

The question is: As only OnChange is provided for input field, how will I be able to call the Screen Action (OnInputBlur) on the "onblur" of Extended Properties?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Danilo,

On the extended properties you can call (click) an hidden button (display:none;) that will run the screen action you want. Use this javascript: "document.getElementById('"+HiddenButtonName.Id+"').click();"

Hi Tiago,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried this and is working, but is very inefficient especially when I am incorporating a lot of events on 1 input field. I am calling Ajax Refresh on the Screen Actions and sometimes the value that I want is not reflected correctly. Is there any other way to do this?

Actually that is a very good question, which I don't think I've have ever seen responded by OutSystems staff

If you take a close look at what the platform generates automatically when having an onchange set, should be something like:

onchange="OsAjax(arguments[0] || window.event,'the input name here','the input id here','Change','__OSVSTATE,','');"

The input name is the same as the input id but with "$" instead of "_"

You can replicate this behavior by yourself on the onblur property, but I would love to hear a better option to do this

Best regards,

PC

Digging a bit in the P10 documentation we have this link that shows us how to execute a server side action in mobile apps...

Would be awesome to have the same in Web applications

Best regards,

PC

Hi Pedro,

Thank you for your reply. I visited the link you mentioned and indeed it does have the same functionality for the mobile app. I do hope there is an easier (and less cluttered) way in the Desktop app. I'll let you know when I find a solution for my problem, but if there are any other suggestions it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@Outsystems Staff

Any comments to this thread? :)

What's the correct approach to use when we need to use screen actions in onblur/onfocus events without having to use an extra click on a hidden button?

Best regards,

PC

Pedro Coelho wrote:

@Outsystems Staff

Any comments to this thread? :)

What's the correct approach to use when we need to use screen actions in onblur/onfocus events without having to use an extra click on a hidden button?

Best regards,

PC

I still need this as well ... I need an OnKeyPress event to call a ScreenAction too.

Was this ever solved?

Solution

@Bruce Buttles

I don't think it ever got an official answer

I did find out a viable option to do this:

• Add a FakeNotifyWidget (from RichWidgets) to the block and create an OnNotify action for it
  • Name it (the FakeNotifyWidget) and on the onblur event of the desired input add the following:
    OsNotifyWidget('<FakeNotifyWidget>.Id', '<message>')
  • On the OnNotify action you can get the <message> using the NotifyWidgetGetMessage() built-in function and treat it accordingly

Hope this helps

Best regards,

PC

Solution

Pedro Coelho wrote:

@Bruce Buttles

• Add a FakeNotifyWidget (from RichWidgets) to the block and create an OnNotify action for it
  • Name it (the FakeNotifyWidget) and on the onblur event of the desired input add the following:
  • On the OnNotify action you can get the <message> using the NotifyWidgetGetMessage() built-in function and treat it accordingly

Hope this helps

Best regards,

PC

Hey thanks this worked like a champ!

Glad it helped :)

Best regards,

PC

Pedro Coelho wrote:

@Bruce Buttles

Hope this helps

Best regards,

PC

Can you please confirm if the syntax is like this? I'm not being able to get it work.

Tks

That is the syntax, but you need to add it like this:

onblur

= "OsNotifyWidget('" + FakeNotifyWidget.Id + "', 'This is my message');"

This is done so you will actually get the Runtime Id in the script

Hope it helps

Best regards,

PC

Pedro Coelho wrote:

That is the syntax, but you need to add it like this:

onblur

= "OsNotifyWidget('" + FakeNotifyWidget.Id + "', 'This is my message');"