How to put a link in a MMS message?

How to put a link in a MMS message?

Hi,

I'm creating an application that sends MMS messages.
I want to put a link to an URL in the MMS text part, so that users can jump to my application after reading the MMS.

Is this technically possible? Is there an user agent limitation?

Thanks.
Kind regards,
Nuno Araújo
I was told that links can defined in the SMIL.

How can I configure it in Outsystems platform?

I am using the Outsystems MMS Extension to send MMSs.

Thanks.
Kind regards,

Nuno Araújo
Hi,

The MMS Extension allows you to built and send MMS messages using SMIL in a very easy way.

The document MMS Extension Help has, in the fist page, a step by step explanation of how to do it. You can find the document here.
(or you can browse the documentation folders to \Product Documentation\Extensions documentation or use the search box with the keyword MMS)

If you have any question or doubt don't hesitate to contact us.
In theory, the correct way of inserting links in a MMS is using SMIL.

According to the SMIL reference documents that were available, the SMIL configuration to have a text with a link, would be something like this:
<smil>
<body>
<....>
<a href=...><text .../>
<....>
</body>
</smil>

The <a href=...>... defines the destination of the link, while the <text .../> defines the text to be shown in the link. Between the <a> and tags can be a text, image, video, etc, as long as the corresponding definition tag is used.

In practice, this doesn't work. The text or image defined inside the link appear normally, but there is no link defined. The problem seems to be on the device side. This was teste in three different devices and none of them seem to support the link tag of the SMIL language. Therefore, it was necessary to search for an alternative, in order to display links in a MMS.

The workaround found to solve this problem is to forget the SMIL, and do the following:
- Create the MMS message with the content type set as "multipart/related";
- Add only one MMS Part, with the content type set as "text/html", where you can use html to define links (and anything in html that is supported by the browsers of each mobile device.

This workaround works fine, with only one problem: the part with the contents appears in the MMS as an attachement, which forces the user to an extra click to see its content.