How to update native app on Android or iOS device automatically?

How to update native app on Android or iOS device automatically?

Hello,

How to update native app on Android or iOS device automatically when application started?

Here I read https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Mobile_App_Update_Scenarios

that "The mobile apps running on the end-user devices automatically detect these updates when they establish a connection to the server of the updated environment."

But in Service studio I see version 0.2

and after press "1 - Click Publish" or even if I pressed "Generate App" on tab "Native Platform" then start app on Android device I see that version of app still 0.1

How to update app on device automatically without uninstall/install it from Android tool or getting it from the "installation link"?

How I can change version number in Service studio? When I press "Configure" link I cannot see field to change version number how I can change version?

Thank you in advance.
Victor

Hi Victor.

What you are seeing is not the NATIVE app (in Google Play, for example), but the OutSystems app in OutSystems platform..

You need to generate again the application for each platform every time you change it/create a new version.

Than the app will see this new version when opening.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Victor.

What you are seeing is not the NATIVE app (in Google Play, for example), but the OutSystems app in OutSystems platform..

You need to generate again the application for each platform every time you change it/create a new version.

Than the app will see this new version when opening.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

After I have generated new apk-file version is still 0.2 and I don't know how to increase it.

Automatically after generating version is not increased and impossible to increase it manually because not present field for change version.

How I can increase app version for Android apk-file?

So, do I correct understand that it is impossible automatically update native application on Android device?

Solution

Hello Victor,

Every time you change your application and generate a new package publish your application, a new package will be generated (there are exceptions), and so, as soon as you enter the application, it will detect it and will do the update, automatically.

The version will be the one showing in the Service Center. I think you can't change this, but I'm not sure.I don't know if the app version increases based only on the generation, or if also depends on changes to the application to a new version to be generated (I'm testing it right now, but it is a bit complicated, something is not working properly in my Personal).

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

EDIT: According OutSystems documentation (and my tests), effectively the app is updated after a 1-click publish, without being required to generate a new Package.

I couldn't find yet a way to set the version number for the native application, in DEBUG mode, at least.

In this link it's possible to find the way to define the version, using LifeTime.

Solution

Thanks Eduardo for the help. Really auto update works. I just misled the version number but it does not affect the auto update.

Eduardo Jauch , are you saying that everything will be updated without any actions from our side? The APK itself isn't updated, because that would need user confirmation to install - is it so? Than how does the update include all changes? If we add or remove cordova plugin for example, change resources, etc?

Hi Igor,

Those situations enter the "exception" category, where you have to generate a new APK.
But at least simple changes in code will be identified by the application itself and it will be updated automatically.

Situations that will require a "manual" update:

• The application name was changed;
  • The entry module or its name was changed;
  • The application icon was replaced;
  • The main color of the application was changed;
  • Mobile plugins were modified, added or removed;
  • The configurations for a mobile platform was changed.

You can find this information here.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch