How to create a clientside Action that makes a rest call in mobile app?

How to create a clientside Action that makes a rest call in mobile app?

I want to create an offline(Completely ) which can not connect to our network but has some local database that has information that we use for application logic(fee/discount etc)

This being Pilot we do not want to allow the mobile app to connect to our Outsystems server.

We need to get information from a public api but I learn that we need to connect to the outsystems sever to be able to execute rest api. Has anyone know if we can implement a rest api call from client side?

Hi Leo,

In order to do REST invocations on the client side you will have to use JavaScript directly.

You need to create a new XMLHttpRequest object and pass it the required info to call your REST method.

You can look up how to do this in all of the usual places, a quick search online unearthed several potentially interesting resources: w3schools, stackoverflow, some older blog.

That said, I think it's pretty nonsensical to not want to connect to the OutSystems server, but assume everything else is up. Leo, what exactly is your usecase for this?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

That said, I think it's pretty nonsensical to not want to connect to the OutSystems server, but assume everything else is up. Leo, what exactly is your usecase for this?

I totally agree with you, nevertheless, there are, for instance, scenarios where invoking REST services on the server side may incur in a hefty extra network latency penalty (Device->OutSystems Server->REST Server->OutSystems Server->Device), in which case direct REST calls from a device (Device->REST Server->Device) might be a better option.

@Leo, the scenario described above doesn't make much sense... if the application is "offline(Completely )" then it cannot make any REST calls. Can you better explain what is your intention?