Max. Length on Physical Table Name on Foreign Entities

Max. Length on Physical Table Name on Foreign Entities

In order to define a new foreign entity on ServiceCenter I had to create a view and point the Physical Table Name to that view.
This happened because the max. length available for the field Physical Table Name is small considering that you may have to use a table from a different server. Something like [ServerName].[Database].[Owner].[Table],
and of course I can´t use the first and the last parentesis, wich can cause some confusion on your first implementation.
Hi Marco, I'm assuming you ran into that in one of the 2.x releases because in version 3.0 not only is the the limit set at 2000 characters, you no longer need to remove the square brackets from the table name and should use the full name instead.

Also, version 3.1 will see the debut of a new tool named Integration Studio that will greatly simplify common integration tasks like creating a foreign entity based on another database table or view.

As for using a view, it's actually a good idea especially if you want to hide some of the external table fields and/or if you wish to centralize managing application access to your external databases. As an added bonus this might make it possible for the external database to change and by only changing where the view fetches its fields your applications would continue to run.

Best regards,
Marco Cunha