Windows Graphical User Interface

Windows Graphical User Interface

From a customer I got the question if it was possible to have a windows GUI instead of a Web UI.

One thing I can think of is the use of Webservices for exposing the functionality within the eSpace. The customer then needs to create a GUI and some logic to deal with webservices. Although possible, I'm not sure about the performance and it means also some GUI creation outside Outsystems.

Therefore, the question is, is there a (easy) way to have an windows GUI instead of a web application GUI?

Regards,
Hans Bruins
OutSystems Hub Edition only supports thin client interfaces, from web to wap and sms interfaces, but always thin client.
If the customer explicitly requires Windows GUI interfaces, then the solution is exactly the one you describe in your post: build the business logic in OutSystems, encapsulate it in a web services interface, and then build applications (windows GUI among others) that use it.
Your concerns about the performance of such a solution make sense, that why you must plan it ahead, in order to clearly isolate the relevant business action to be implemented as web services – the problem is not the model itself, but the particular architecture you may end up with.

This architecture is aligned with the trend of SOA (services oriented architecture) - if you have a set of business actions the best is probably to make them available to the whole application community instead of closing them in a big application.

Regards,
Frederico Mangas