How to send SMS from mobile app?

How to send SMS from mobile app?

Hi Everyone,

I am building a mobile app and the app needs to send out SMS messages from the phone (not the server). What is the best way to do this?

I was hoping to find a widget that has functionality similar to android.telephony.SmsManager.

Any help much appreciated!

Hello Andrew,

In mobile, we usually use Cordova plugins to use native features (like send SMSs).
You can try this component from forge: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component/2499/sms-cordova-plugin/

It already encapsulates this for you.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo, thank you very much. 

This plugin is exactly what I need.

However, when I tried it, no sms was sent. For testing purposes, I just created a button with a SendSMS client action and hard coded the two input parameters of phone number and message. However, no SMS was received on my other phone.

The plugin returns an error: "Android Permissions Plugin not available", even though I have checked the entire plugin in the dependencies. I also checked the entire plugin for SendSMS.

This is my first attempt at using Outsystems after the beginner tutorial. Still troubleshooting, any assistance is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have tried through Msg Api, What i have done is i have created a button and called sms api for sending sms. It's work for me. Tried for both web and mobile.

Thanks,

-HM-

hitesh maran wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I have tried through Msg Api, What i have done is i have created a button and called sms api for sending sms. It's work for me. Tried for both web and mobile.

Thanks,

-HM-

Hitesh, I couldn't find "Msg Api" in the Forge and my Google search returned many entries, but none that looked likely. Could you be a little more specific?

Solution

Hello Andrew,

Are you trying from OutSystems Now? If so, it won't work, as it has a limited number of plugins set up and this is not one of them.

If you are trying from an installed application, from a generated apk previous to the plugin reference, you need to regenerate the apk.

If you did both and still have the error, than we need to investigate a little more.

Could you provide a simple oml with the code you are trying to use?

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Andrew,

Are you trying from OutSystems Now? If so, it won't work, as it has a limited number of plugins set up and this is not one of them.

If you are trying from an installed application, from a generated apk previous to the plugin reference, you need to regenerate the apk.

If you did both and still have the error, than we need to investigate a little more.

Could you provide a simple oml with the code you are trying to use?

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Yes, I have been using Outsystems Now. Thanks, problem solved!

Hi Andrew! 

Nice :)
Consider marking the answer as correct, as this make easier for others with the same problems to find the answer :)

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch