No scaffolding for master-detail tables

No scaffolding for master-detail tables

I have a table [Individual_Skills] that is detail information related to table [Individuals]. When I drag the [Individual_Skills] database entity onto the [IndividualDetail] web page, I do not get the scaffolding help that I expect. I only get the basic data table widget.

The [Individual_Skills] table is very basic, with only four fields: [Individual_Skill ID], [Individual_ID], [Skill_ID], and [Skill_Notes].  The [Skill_Notes] field is text, so I think the table meets the minimum requirements for the scaffolding to happen.

Although I can work around this, I'm not comfortable yet adding things like the pop-up editor for adding or editing individual skill assignments.

Just yesterday I created a master-detail relationship on another page, and it worked beautifully. I do not see what is significantly different between the context of the other page and the one that is not working for me today. Can anyone suggest a place to start troubleshooting this?

Hi Geoff,

To be clear on this: When you drag the Individual_Skills table onto the IndividualDetail webpage you expect some kind of Master-Detail table?

There are multiple options for this, with Popus, nested tables, Webblocks, different Web pages... All dependent on how do you want to approach this problem from a UI/UX perspective.

Anyway, I think you should look at:

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component/654/table-records-patterns/

It has some examples of how to do nested/children listings, but again, this is only one option on how to approach your problem.

I hope it helps!

Hello Geoff,

There are 2 reasons for this behaviour.

1. Your skills table is in another espace and marked as Read Inly

2. You changed the detail page in a way the Service Studio can't find what it is looking for, like the master id in the input parameter.

Also, check that you are dropping the skills entity outside the form.

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Hello Geoff,

Was you able to solve this? Are you still experiencing problems with the scafolding?

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Geoff,

Was you able to solve this? Are you still experiencing problems with the scafolding?

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

No, it cannot be solved. The OutSystems support rep told me that the main page does not meet all the "rules" for allowing the drag-and-drop automatically to add the scaffolding around the data grid. So I can only assume that some part of the fiddling I did with the page before trying to add the detail grid "broke" the scaffolding routine. I have learned my lesson, and from now on I will add the detail grids first before customizing the layout and function of the main page.

Of course, as development of future features continues, I may be in this same situation again. I'll just have to get more comfortable adding all the elements by hand that the scaffolding routine adds automatically.

In the end, re-creating the Individual Details page from scratch was not as time-consuming as I had feared. I had spent most of the time working on the form to edit the information, and I simply copied the customized form over from the original page to the second instance of it after I had added the detailed data grids with the scaffolding. I moved the links from the other tables and added a couple of if/then conditions to fit, and voila', I had the new copy of Individual Details ready in about 20 minutes, and with all the links for the detals data grids in place.