Connect to an existing database

Connect to an existing database

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie with Outsystems have all our applications previously data with ASP.Net and now would like to setup a connection to our current database.

I've downloaded Service Studio 10 and already have our existing datasource but how can I connect to include available tables in a Outsystem Web app for example, or does anyone have link to an example or tutorial? and do I need to download another tool (eg. Integration Studio)?

I could see that the Tut videos have a connection to Excel files but not databases. 

Thanks  

And how can I get to that Outsystems Service Centre!? I tried the like outsystemscloud/servicecentre/databaseconnection_Edit.jsf with no success !

Thanks

In your service studio menu "Environment", there is submenu "Environment Management":

regards,

bb

Nevermind I've found it.

Thanks

Hi john,

You can find here info on Integration Studio (that you use to create that sort of integration with external databases). If you're just starting with OutSystems I'd actually recommend you follow the entire introductory online course on Developing OutSystems Web Applications before you start with integrations.

There is also a Master Class on Integrations and Extensibility that you mind find useful. Again, I'd suggest you follow it after grasping the main aspects of the platform by following the Online Course I mentioned or attending one of the Boot Camps.

Please do mind that if you are using Outsystems Cloud server, so it can only connect via internet to your database.

It cannot connect to your loopback (localhost, 127.0.0.1) or your LAN ip address.

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi john,

You can find here info on Integration Studio (that you use to create that sort of integration with external databases). If you're just starting with OutSystems I'd actually recommend you follow the entire introductory online course on Developing OutSystems Web Applications before you start with integrations.

There is also a Master Class on Integrations and Extensibility that you mind find useful. Again, I'd suggest you follow it after grasping the main aspects of the platform by following the Online Course I mentioned or attending one of the Boot Camps.

Thanks Jorge,

I've already seen about 14 videos and got a very basic idea, and this might a dump question from me:

I've download Service Studio 10 Trial V and was expecting that would have the Integration Studio it but don't seems to find it, do I need to download it separately and if so where pls?

We use Intersystems Cache and hopefully it's compatible with Outsystems.   

Thanks   

Hi John,

What exactly is Service Studio 10 Trial V?... there's only one software bundle for the Development Environment (no trial, you can find it here) and it will include Integration Studio 10 (just look for it next to Service Studio 10 in your Start menu).

As for Intersystems Cache compatibility with OutSystems... what do you mean by that? when/where do you expect to use it and how does that relate to OutSystems?

Thanks John I can see it now.

And (Caché) is a DBMS provided by InsterSystems widely used by health institution, and now I've connected to my environment, then Import-->Connect to external table or view, but can't find my my datasource, so my understanding is that I have to created a database connection in Service centre first, so I went to service centre to create a new database connect but from DBMS list box there only very limited options of iDB2, Oracle, SQL Server but not InterSystems Cache!?

Thanks 

Yes, right now provided External Database Connections are only for MySQL, SQLServer, Oracle, and DB2.

Outsystems provides SDK to make your own database connector, and I think there is a PostgreSQL connector already made by one of Outsystems Engineer: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/14992/the-postgresql-database-connector-by-ardoric/

This is also my first time I heard of Intersystems Cache Database, so I can't blame any software for not providing connector for it.

Will have a look.

Thanks Harlin,

Don't know !

I've downloaded and installed PostgreSQL 10 and according to him it should be available from the DBMS list but is not.

do you have a link form where i can download this Database Integration AP so I see if I can create a custom connector?

Thanks

Here's the link for Database SDK:

https://www.outsystems.com/home/document-download/1274/92/0/0

https://www.outsystems.com/home/document-download/1306/92/0/0

I'm no expert in this, maybe you can contact Ricardo Silva, the creator of PostgreSql Database Connector directly.

Hello John,

Did you follow the installation instructions on your server?

Pay special attention to steps 3 and 5

Hi Ricardo,

Which DLLs!? I've downloaded PostgreSQL installed which is an EXE. Do you mean to copy the DLLs from C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\bin?

Thanks 

Hello John,

In order for OutSystems to be able to connect to PostgreSQL you have to install the connector I made on your OutSystems server.

It is not enough for you to simply download PostgreSQL onto your workstation. You need to tell OutSystems how to communicate with PostgreSQL, how to write queries for its specific SQL language, how to fetch meta information about the tables. This is what my connector provides.

You can find the latest release of my connector here. Note that as of now it is not possible to install these files on the OutSystems free offer (personal edition).

By the way, the same is true for the Caché database. If you don't already have such a connector, you may need to build it yourself. OutSystems doesn't magically know how to talk with a Caché database.

Lemme know if you have any question regarding this matter.

Ricardo Silva wrote:

Ok I'm a bit confused now   

First, do you thinks that PostgreSQL can be used for Cache ?

if no, do you pls have a link to that Outsystems Database Integration AP so I can see if I can create a connector?

Thanks Ricardo

Hi,

No, I have no indication that the PostgreSQL connector could help for Caché. I am responding to your queries about the PostgreSQL connector specifically.

The Database Integration SDK is currently available under a Limited Access program. In order to enroll in the program please send an email to support.