Connect mobile app and web app

Connect mobile app and web app

Hello! I'm quite new to outsystems, but I love it so far.

I'm working on both a web app and mobile app (same product) using SilkUI. I want the user to be able to send a request from the mobile app to the administrator who uses the web app. 

To make things clear: I'm working on a product that lets employees request vacation from the mobile app (like this https://silkui.outsystems.com/EmployeeAppTemplate.aspx). I want the manager to accept or decline the request from the web app.

1. Is this possible? 
  2. If yes, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! 

Hello Karl,

Yes, it is possible. You can use Server Actions, Entities, etc, from Web Applications (but no web blocks or web pages, for example).

The idea, I think, would be to send information back to server, probably saving data to an entity, directly or through an action, that will be used to alert the manager about the event (new vacations to accept/refuse).

From here, you can work in a number of ways, like just presenting data to the Manager in a Dashboard, sending an e-mail from the server action used to save info to database, trigger a process on a new record inserted in table (if you are using BPT), etc.

If you don't want to "couple" your 2 applications directly, you can expose a web server in the Web Application and consume it in the Mobile (or the other way), and exchange the information between the applications through this way.

So, to resume, as you have access to modules for web applications, and can reference Actions, Entities, Structures, etc, the way to implement this "talk" is a matter of using something that fit best your requirements and constraints.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

I am looking into a similar scenario with an app (for field reps) and a portal (for back office). Both should have the same data layer, but different frontends, namely a mobile app and a web portal. The users should be able to log-into both apps using the same username and password. Can I cover this with a ONE License?

Best

Hi.

Yes. Both mobile and web are available in the same server with the same license.

Cheers

Many thx :)

Would it be also possible to have 2 different mobile apps - say one for sales and another for back office team - on the same server. And in addition an web portal for the back office team (all three run on the same data and login credentials)?

I'm also quite new to out systems and could do with a little help with this same type of thing.   How would I go about creating a mobile app that takes data from an existing outsystems web app I have created?  I'm looking update and create data in both apps.  Any help would be appreciated or a possible tutorial that touches on these things.

Thanks

Karl Wiik wrote:

Hello! I'm quite new to outsystems, but I love it so far.

I'm working on both a web app and mobile app (same product) using SilkUI. I want the user to be able to send a request from the mobile app to the administrator who uses the web app. 

To make things clear: I'm working on a product that lets employees request vacation from the mobile app (like this https://silkui.outsystems.com/EmployeeAppTemplate.aspx). I want the manager to accept or decline the request from the web app.

1. Is this possible? 
  2. If yes, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! 

Karl, I am looking to do the exact same thing as you. I am new to OutSystems and the first app I am hoping to build in a mobile app for employees to request days off and see approval from their supervisor. I stumbled upon the Employee Template from OutSystems and now I am seeing if I can use that template as my starting point or making a completely new app for myself. I'm curious on the direction you chose?