Generic List Input Parameter

Generic List Input Parameter

Hi,

I would like to create an action that receives as input parameter a list of generic objects or a record list with no record associated.

Is this possible?
As anyone done something like this?

tks.

Hi folks, any thoughts about this !?

No way to do it at this time.

J.Ja

You can create an action that receives an xml or json structure and then parse the contents of the structure. 

Or you create an extension with the integration studio that has an object as input and parse the contents in java or c#.

Remco Dekkinga wrote:

You can create an action that receives an xml or json structure and then parse the contents of the structure. 

Or you create an extension with the integration studio that has an object as input and parse the contents in java or c#.

Yes, but at *some* point, if you want this to be useful to the application, you will be stuck. OK, so the extension parsed the XML/JSON. Now what does it return? Unless you are going to return an Object that is a pointer to a node, and let the programmer walk the nodes (not easy to work with), it doesn't really get you anywhere. At some point, you will run into the fact that OutSystems just does not support non-typed or dynamically typed structures. It's one of the tradeoffs of the system. It is much simpler to learn and you can't write confusing code... but when you NEED something liek that, it isn't there.

J.Ja

Thank you all for the comments.

I could get it done by passing the list attribute "Empty" as an input parameter for a mobile app block. I notice this is done like the parameter was passed by reference because the UI is updated when the attribute value changes, so it works well for me. Another parameter was the "HasFetchError" aggregate attribute that works fine too.

I agree abstract data types could be a mess and it gets the software maintenance too hard.

Till now, I can live without this :-)