Detect a key press

Detect a key press

Is there a way to detect when a user presses a particular key in an input field? for instance If the user to enter a 10 character text, but if the press a "\" I want to trigger an event.

Thanks for your help

Gonzalo

Solution

Hi Gonzalo,

Yes, it is possible.

You can use also the OnChange event of the input, but it fires after a "lag", what may pose a problem.
You can also use JavaScript, as you can bound the input to an event like onkeydown, onkeypress or onkeyup (https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/event_onkeypress.asp). Beware that in mobile this is not "trivial", as each OS/device happens to trigger different events.

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Gonzalo

If someone answer your question, mark it as correct. That will help other to find answers to similar questions.

TIA

I am using a barcode scanner to enter text it in a search field, and I wanted to to trigger the search automatically after the barcode is read. Since barcode scanners add a "carriage return" character after the data, I wanted to capture that and use it. 

I used the OnChange method to identify last character entered, but it did not work with the carriage return. If I reconfigure the scanner to send another character, like a ",", my method works. Is just not that ellegant because you can see the "," after the data.

Gonzalo