definitions of solution, application,modules, espace and extension

definitions of solution, application,modules, espace and extension

Hi,

Can someone quickly given me proper definitions of of solution, application,modules, espace and extension

Solution

Ok so first off, a module is either an espace or an extension.
An application consists of multiple modules, and a solution consists of multiple applications.

So an extension is a piece of code written in .NET or JAVA, these extensions can be used to extend the functionality of outsystems, you can also download them on the forge.

An espace is a module where you do your actual work as outsystems developer, in here you can create screens, logic, consume web services, expose web services, store entities in the database, keep statics, create structures.

An application is a collection of modules, which as noted before, can be either an extension or an espaces.
An example of an application could be, a booking application for a hotel.

The solution is basicly everything you have inside your environment, all the espaces you have made (or downloaded from the forge).

Hope this helps!

Solution

yes It does..thanks a lot. Just to confirm, when you write  an extension in .NET, your environment should be setup on windows and for java , it should be on Linux, right?

Snehal Halkare wrote:

yes It does..thanks a lot. Just to confirm, when you write  an extension in .NET, your environment should be setup on windows and for java , it should be on Linux, right?

I personally use Visual Studio for .NET and Eclipse for JAVA development, which can both be run on windows.

I think .NET is also available on Linux these days (https://www.microsoft.com/net/learn/get-started/linuxubuntu)

I did not mean from development perspective but rather, Server side on-premise outsystems installation perspective. But thanks for Quick help.

Can I make a small correction?

A solution is a collection of modules, not applications. When you create a solution, you have to define which modules will be there. It can be any module, from any application. You have also the ability to include in the solution, automatically, the dependences of the modules you chose.

An application package have all the modules that are associated with that application, only.

EDIT

"espace" is the old designation of a module.

An extension is a module that contains definitions for the interfaces, either for external code (c#, java), as well as external entities (generally from outside OutSystems database). Those interfaces allow you to use these inside OutSystems code.

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

thanks Eduardo

I google this for Application Architect vs Solution Architect:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/524941/whats-the-difference-between-solutions-architect-and-applications-architect

regards,

IB

Thanks Eduardo, I was under the impression you could only use full applications in a solution, thanks!

As for the question of Snehal, it seems JAVA stack will be run on Red Hat Linux.
And for .NET it would be Windows Server.

I'm looking at old documents for platform server 8 so things might have changed by now.