Is there a way to set a mobile screen as the destination of a BPT Human Acrivity?

Is there a way to set a mobile screen as the destination of a BPT Human Acrivity?

I need to set a mobile screen as the destination of a BPT Human Activity process? Is this possible? Can Mobile applications be part of a BPT process in any way?

Hello Mariela,

I didn't find anything saying you can't.

Accordingly to the documentation, it is possible to have a task box in mobile (you need to create it). 

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Reference/OutSystems_APIs/EPA_Taskbox_API

If it is possible to have a task box in mobile, don't know why wouldn't be possible to have a hu human activity set to a mobile screen (but I can be wrong, as I never worked with BPT in mobile).

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Hi Mariela,

Adding to what Eduardo has said...

In mobile you don't have a Destination property in the Human Activity.

To do it in mobile you have to create your custom Taskbox and in there direct the user to the appropriate screen.

The custom Taskbox is "just" a screen that gets the data from the processes meta-data entities and for each task that that user has to do, when the user click on it, it will be redirected to the appropriate screen.

Cheers,

José

Thanks for your answers. What I don't have very clear is how to monitor from the mobile app if the user has activities assigned to him waiting to be opened. I don't think going to the server every n seconds to search for those activities it's a good practice. But I'm going to check the link you are suggesting to try to clarify the details.

Cheers,

Mariela

Solution

Hello Mariela,

The problem here is that BPT is a server side process.

Every time you want to see if the user has something to do, it must be checked from the server.

But...

You can use a notification system, like pushwoosh, etc, to send notifications to the mobile, warning the user that he has new activities.

Cheers, 

Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Ok, maybe that works for me. I'm going to check it. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Mariela

Hi. I've already tried sending a notification to the mobile app from the BPT process and It works. The mobile app receives the notification and the user can open the screen to complete the task from the link embeded in the notification message. The problem now is that I couldn't close the Activity because the EPA Taskbox API applies only to web applications. So I haven't found the way to close an activity from the mobile app.

Hello Mariela,

The EPA task box is for web, but the API works on both WEB and Mobile.
From the OutSystems documentation

The Embedded Process Automation (EPA) automatically displays in the user's web browser all pending activities in a floating taskbox. Each item includes instructions and a link that will lead the user to the web page where the activity can be completed. In Mobile Apps a custom taskbox needs to be created.

So, for mobile, you have to develop a taskbox yourself.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Here: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/lesson/1169/custom-taskbox/

It's for web, but the concepts apply to mobile as well.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo. I did it just checking if the data to complete the task was updated by the other user, in that case, the mobile app doesn't allow the user to update the data. So I didn't need to close the activity, so I didn't try with the EPA API. Thank you very much.