Widgets For Mobile Apps

How can I be able to create some widgets(Android Home Page) for my app that was built in Outsystems, Is there any integration available?

Thanks,

Keerthi

Hi Vasan,

In theory, it is possible through a Cordova plugin. But as I never did one, can't say with sure.

If you are able to create one, please share the knowledge :)

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

I believe widget is Android native view while Cordova is a webview. If it is possible done through cordova and Outsystems then would it make it a cross platform widget? I don't think so.

But maybe it is possible done through Cordova but then I think will only work on Android only?

Eric Halim wrote:

I believe widget is Android native Cordova is a webview. If it is possible done through cordova and Outsystems then would it make it a cross platform widget? I don't think so.

But maybe it is possible done through Cordova but then I think will only work on Android only?

Well, Android widgets are android widgets, not iOS widgets. 

In fact, there are 0 plugins that use the same code for both iOS and Android. They are completely different OSes.

A very nice example is the intents. Only Android has intents.

Regarding widgets, the idea of Cordova is enable the access of the native features of the system. In Android, you do a cordova plugin using Java, with access to the system.

Not that everything will work through Cordova. But a google search showed me at least one project to make an Android Widget using Cordova. Don't know if it works, didn't tried it.

But I think probably it work. If intents work, don't see why a widget wouldn't... (I may be wrong).

https://www.infohit.net/blog/post/getting-started-with-an-android-widget-populated-with-javascript-and-apache-cordova/

But I would say that while I think it is possible, I wouldn't try it myself. It seems a lot of work to do something that is in disuse...

P.S. For those don't know, an Android widget is the name given to apps that can run inside others, like the home screen.

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch