Mobile debugging Android / iOs not working

Somehow the Android / iOS debugging feature doesn't work for me.

I have tried both , and I come to the point of a connected device but when Service Studio says 'Open the application on your device'  nothing happens. So the setup must be right (Debugging allowed) but detecting the running app does not work :(

At the moment I'm trying debugging on Android. As far as I can see I have tried all of the things that are in the 'troubleshooting help'.

Oh and I'm on 10.0.713.0


Hi Patrice,

Does debugging work for you when using the emulator in a browser window? Does your host PC detect the device when you connect it via USB?

Patrice Oostermeyer wrote:

Somehow the Android / iOS debugging feature doesn't work for me.

I have tried both , and I come to the point of a connected device but when Service Studio says 'Open the application on your device'  nothing happens. So the setup must be right (Debugging allowed) but detecting the running app does not work :(

At the moment I'm trying debugging on Android. As far as I can see I have tried all of the things that are in the 'troubleshooting help'.

Oh and I'm on 10.0.713.0



Hi Patrice,

Did you check the Troubleshoot Device Connection Issues article?


Regards,

António Pereira

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Patrice,

Does debugging work for you when using the emulator in a browser window? Does your host PC detect the device when you connect it via USB?

Yes and Yes and also I checked every Connection Issue article there is :)


Patrice Oostermeyer wrote:

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Patrice,

Does debugging work for you when using the emulator in a browser window? Does your host PC detect the device when you connect it via USB?

Yes and Yes and also I checked every Connection Issue article there is :)


Did you try to restart your Android device? Sometimes the Android OS creates a ghost webview (eg. to display an ad) and the only way to fix it is to restart the device.

If it doesn't work, please contact OutSystems support. It can be a bug.

Ok thanks I will.

Hi Patrice,

I hava same problem.

Could you kindly tell me how did you fix it.


Regards,

Jiashu Li


Hi Folks,

Addition to all the above good answers :
Make sure the debug mode is enabled in iOS & Android.
In android we refer it as Developer-Mode > USB Debugging

1) Check that you have your Devices in programmer mode (search on google as you do)


2) You have to have your devices connected to the computer via USB, attention, you have to use data cables, and not just cables to charge phones.


3) You have to give permission on the phone for the computer to access the phone. You can validate in the browser inspect if it detected the phone.


4) You have to start the Debugger on the platform by choosing the device (iOS or Android) you want.


Note: You can do small tests in OutSystem Now (webbrowser), but if you have Cordova plugin components in the application, you will not be able to test, OutSystem Now does not support Cordova.


And basically these are the steps.


Cheers,
Miguel

Hi Patrice,

I had a similar problem in the past with iOS devices. Debugging was working on Android devices, but not on iOS devices with that exact behavior.

I did some research, let me share what I've found.

Once the Service Studio says 'Open the application on your device', it means that you already configured all of your settings properly, since this message only pops up when the pair device / PC are both ready to perform the debug. So at this point the problem is not connections neither configurations of the device / PC.


What's the build type that you're using for Android? Make sure it is Debug when you generate the APK file.


Same for iOS. Make sure that the build type is Development when you generate the IPA file.


If you generate the app with any other build types, the debug won't work and you will have exactly that behavior (Service Studio says 'Open the application on your device' but the debugger won't start and it seems that nothing happens).


If it still doesn't work, send me a private message. There are a couple other things that we can try after this.


Kind regards,

Rui Barradas