Importing entities from an external Oracle database

Importing entities from an external Oracle database

Hello ...

is it possible to import entities from an external Oracle database in an extension? When I start the 'import database' wizard, it only presents the local database, but I would like to import entities from an external Oracle database.

Thanks,

Stefan
I should probably add my environment is Outsystems 4.0 on J2EE / Oracle :)

- Stefan
Hi Stefan,

You'll need to configure a linked server between OutSytems Oracle Database and the External Oracle database that you wish to access.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
André
Hi Andre,

thanks for your tip, but what exactly do you mean by 'linked server'? Is it an Oracle database link, or a configuration that I need to do in the Outsystems platform?
Thanks,
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

You're right it's a database link.
Cheers,
André
Hey Andre ...

with this, I got a lot further ...

* database link created and tested
* started 'import entities' wizard
* now I'm seeing the database (link)
* selecting the link shows the different schemas

but: when IS tries to get the table metadata for the schema I want to import, I run into an error (see attached)

I feel I'm very close :) what do I do wrong now?

Thanks much,
Stefan
Hi Stefan

We regret to inform that the import cannot be done using the Import entities from Database Wizard when using the OutSystems Platform 4.0 over J2EE/Oracle. This is because of a problem with the Integration Studio architecture, which is yet to be addressed.

To import entities to an extension in this case, you should define the entity manually in Integration Studio. This will work as expected, although giving a little more work to accomplish.
Thanks, Acacio!

It works now. Is this going to be fixed in the 4.1 release? (One more feature to look forward to :) ).

- Stefan
Hi Stefan

Yes, this is already fixed in 4.1 for Java. If you have a spare computer available (or if you can create a new VM) you can try installing the trial version of the OutSystems Platform 4.1. for Java and see for yourself! :)

If you do so, we kindly ask you to submit your feedback to whatever situations you may find with it.

Cheers,
Since our QA system is running a beta of 4.1 for J2EE/Oracle I tried it out there and yes, I can confirm that it works like a charm :).

Thanks much!

- Stefan