[OutSystems Now] Can't open camera from popup window

[OutSystems Now] Can't open camera from popup window

Forge Component
(38)
Published on 11 Oct by OutSystems R&D
38 votes
Published on 11 Oct by OutSystems R&D

I'm developing a web application that's used in OutSystems Now and I'm trying to take photos from a popup window. But nothing happens when I press the button that's supposed to open the camera.

I'm using the TakePicture function and it works in a normal window so I think the popup window is causing the problem.

Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks

Hi,

Don't try to open the web cam from a popup? ;)
Pop ups in Web are normal windows inside an iFrame... Don't know exactly what is the problem, thou.

In any case, it is a bad UI/UX to allow complex operations inside a popup.
Use Popups only for small inputs.

If you are trying to add a picture, use a normal page.
If you just want the user to select an option or confirm that he wants to take a picture, you can notify the parent instead, and let the parent open the camera.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi,

Don't try to open the web cam from a popup? ;)
Pop ups in Web are normal windows inside an iFrame... Don't know exactly what is the problem, thou.

In any case, it is a bad UI/UX to allow complex operations inside a popup.
Use Popups only for small inputs.

If you are trying to add a picture, use a normal page.
If you just want the user to select an option or confirm that he wants to take a picture, you can notify the parent instead, and let the parent open the camera.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Thanks for the response.

I am using the popup window to register a customer and I want to be able to take a photo of the customer and save that along with the other customer info.

I already tried what you suggested, to notify the popup's parent, but I wasn't successful.
I used a RichWidgets Widget_Click inside the OnNotify function to click a "TakePhoto" button on the parent screen but that didn't work.

Do you know if it is possible to use the TakePhoto function without the user having to press directly on the button?

thanks

Hi,

What I suggest is to you to avoid doing this in a Popup.
Popups have lots of problems, and depending on the device you are seeing them this can be very nasty.

Than the idea that Popup's should be used only for small things. Registering a user with a picture is something best done in its own screen, not a popup.

Regarding Widget Click, it has some limitations related at the method of the button/link.
You can try a simple "('#"+ link.id + "').click()" in a RunJavaScript.

But I don't know if the camera will open with the PopUp active.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch