Build APP and Communication

Build APP and Communication

Hi

Someone know if there is a way to configure an APP that was built for example in QUAL environment to be used in PROD environment or I must generate the APP in the PROD environment?

The another point is that the environment must has HTTPS for APP, but in my scenario, I have a external domain that has the HTTPS but the internaly communication with the OS server is thoug HTTP. How could the APP handle this scenario?

Best regards

Hello Tiago. You need to generate the app in PROD as well. Lifetime does that for you, and if you don't have Lifetime you can download a solution from QUAL and publish it in PROD.

Your second question really depends on how your infrastructure is set up. If you have a dedicated team to handle infrastructure, they could manage that requirement by using reverse proxies such as squid or apache, or configuring IIS bindings. If you're using the cloud environment, then I guess you would want all communication to be HTTPS, wouldn't you?

leonardo.fernandes wrote:

Hello Tiago. You need to generate the app in PROD as well. Lifetime does that for you, and if you don't have Lifetime you can download a solution from QUAL and publish it in PROD.

Your second question really depends on how your infrastructure is set up. If you have a dedicated team to handle infrastructure, they could manage that requirement by using reverse proxies such as squid or apache, or configuring IIS bindings. If you're using the cloud environment, then I guess you would want all communication to be HTTPS, wouldn't you?

Thanks Leonardo for the explanation.

We aren't using cloud, we have our on premise OS, there is a dedicated infrastructure.

For now, we will start use an internal app in the company. We could obligate the user has been authenticared in the company network to for example sincronize the data. Do you know if is really a requirement the communication be throught HTTPS or could be HTTP?

In the case of the app generated, the url to sincronize the app is embbebed in the APK, right? Do you know if there is a way, for example, generate the apk but passing an URL that is different of the server that generated it?

Solution

Hello Tiago.

The mobile applications use the hostname that is configured in ServiceCenter (Administration -> Environment Configuration -> Hostname). The https is, indeed, a requirement as far as I know. Without HTTPS your users will be vulnerable to man in the middle attacks, so even if it was possible to turn it off, I would highly advise you against it.

If you want some part of your app to behave differently when you are inside your organisation's network, then you could customize the DNS entry inside your organisation to point the same hostname to a particular frontend. Another option, which is not as reliable, is to detect the client's IP address and based on that check if it is inside the network.

Solution

Hi Leonardo

Thanks for your considerations.

I also agree that HTTPS should be the best decision to insurance the communication security.

I will update the client about these points.

Thanks very much.