Deep Link just working with 1 app

Deep Link just working with 1 app

Hello,

I am following the Deep Link instructions and with my old ToDo app it works fine and opens the screens, but I tried it with 3 other apps and it doesn't open them.

Is this a permission problem? Or just a general problem in android?

Thank you,

Francisco Freire.

Hello Francisco.

Should work with all apps. Do you have the correct app identifier in the deeplink?

Hi César,

I have the correct app identifier, what i found out is that a deep link to all the apps except the ToDos in my personal environment dont work, but when i tried exactly the same to several apps in the client's environment this worked fine. Is there any configuration in the personal environment that i am forgetting about?

Best regards,
Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

Did you manage to figure out what the problem with the deep links to Apps in your Personal Environment was?

Francisco Freire wrote:

Hi César,

I have the correct app identifier, what i found out is that a deep link to all the apps except the ToDos in my personal environment dont work, but when i tried exactly the same to several apps in the client's environment this worked fine. Is there any configuration in the personal environment that i am forgetting about?

Best regards,
Francisco Freire.

Hi João,

Unfortunaly i didn´t because i had no time to do so, since then i have been using deep linking in other apps but never to another OS app just to google drive, facebook, etc,  but i am also interested in discovering the reason, so if i make any progress i will be updating this post :) 

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Thank you for the update!

As a side note for when you decide to tackle this again: The mobile deep link FAQ was recently updated, maybe the revised information will help debug the issue.

Cheers

Reading the new FAQ i found some things strange,

For exemple, regarding the "The App identifier of your Mobile App has to be lowercase to allow the use of deep links."

because the only app i can open in my personal with deepLink has the AppId: com.outsystemscloud.franciscofreire.ToDo

But i really need to investigate a bit more when i get the time to do so.

Have a nice one and if you find some more info let me know please :)

Francisco, thank you for your feedback!
Indeed there was a mistake in the FAQ and it has been corrected thanks to your input.

"As a best practice the App identifier of your Mobile App should be lowercase. 
In deep links the <app-identifier> scheme must be lowercase, even if your App identifier has uppercase characters."

OutSystems takes care of making everything work even with uppercase or "mixed"case App identifiers but the scheme in deep links must always be lowercase. 

As mentioned in the FAQ using lowercase App identifiers is not mandatory but it is a best practice.

Cheers

Hi Francisco and João,

I tried to use and what I realised is that the deep links worked for iOS but not for Android. If you already have some solution for this please let me know. Thanks. 

If I found out I will let you know either.

Andreia Gaspar

Hello Andreia,

Did you try using Android Intents for the Android devices?

"To define an Android Intent use the following syntax:

intent://<module>/<screen>#Intent;scheme=<app-identifier>;package=<app-identifier>;end;

"

Cheers

Yes, did not worked as well.

What I have realized is that this not work from on Android on Gmail app or from Gmail opened on the browser.

A work around that I could find with colleagues is f you redirect your user to a Anonymous Screen (web app) and on the preparation of this screen you redirect to the same link build according to this:

<app-identifier>://<module>/<screen>

It will open your app with no problems. 

Hope this works for you.

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

What I have realized is that this not work from on Android on Gmail app or from Gmail opened on the browser.

A work around that I could find with colleagues is f you redirect your user to a Anonymous Screen (web app) and on the preparation of this screen you redirect to the same link build according to this:

Hope this works for you.

Hi Andreia

thanks for this.. but unfortunately, doesn't work on mine. both web and mobile screens are on Anonymous. but still redirects to the splash screen and then to the homepage

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

Hope this works for you.

Hello Andreia, that sounds like a good idea but in that case it wouldn't work in a Offline based app.

Kind Regards,

Francisco Freire.

Francisco Freire wrote:

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

Hope this works for you.

Hello Andreia, that sounds like a good idea but in that case it wouldn't work in a Offline based app.

Kind Regards,

Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

I am new to outsystems. i tried "intent" method, but unable to do it. can you please share oml or screenshot of your intent method.

Thanks,

Navaneethan M

Hello Navaneethan

This is not an intent, the deep link opens the other app in the foreground, not in the background like using the intent ( content provider).
The code is all described in this OS post:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Development_FAQs/How_to_Define_Mobile_App_Deep_Links

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Francisco Freire wrote:

Hello Navaneethan

This is not an intent, the deep link opens the other app in the foreground, not in the background like using the intent ( content provider).

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Development_FAQs/How_to_Define_Mobile_App_Deep_Links

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for reply

can you show the screenshot, because i dont know how to give inputs and what to give. 

i want to open google maps from TODO, 

Thanks

Navaneethan M 

Francisco Freire wrote:

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

Hope this works for you.

Kind Regards,

Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

Yes it will not work on an offline case. This is just a work around. Is not a definitive solution, that fixes everything. 

If I found this solution I will share it. If you do please let me know as well :)

navaneethan m wrote:

Francisco Freire wrote:

Hello Navaneethan

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for reply

can you show the screenshot, because i dont know how to give inputs and what to give. 

i want to open google maps from TODO, 

Thanks

Navaneethan M 

Hello Navaneethan,
To open google maps app from an OS application you just have to put a RedirectToUrl Destination

And set it to the external application URI, you need to serch for the app URI but google ones are easy to find,
Note: Most Times URIs are different for IOS and Android

You can also use the Google Maps Mobile that is located in the forge, and have it in one of your screens.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

Francisco Freire wrote:

Andreia Gaspar wrote:

Hope this works for you.

Kind Regards,

Francisco Freire.

Hi Francisco,

Yes it will not work on an offline case. This is just a work around. Is not a definitive solution, that fixes everything. 

If I found this solution I will share it. If you do please let me know as well :)

Hello Andreia
I havent had that much time due to the project i am in and because i have the professional certificatoion schedule, but as soon as i have some time i will try to use it in my personal environment and try to find a solution,the deep links we are using in our project all work fine but once again i only had this problem in my personal environment.

Best Regards,
Francisco Freire.