Responsive Email Template.

Responsive Email Template.

Hi Team,

Is there any way to create responsive Email Template in our systems.

I want to use two column for web version and if it goes to mobile it should be stacked.

I have tried media query at page level it not going to work any Idea(i have tested it for Gmail and outlook)?

Regards,

Pankaj Pant

Pankaj Pant wrote:

Hi Team,

Is there any way to create responsive Email Template in our systems.

I want to use two column for web version and if it goes to mobile it should be stacked.

I have tried media query at page level it not going to work any Idea(i have tested it for Gmail and outlook)?

Regards,

Pankaj Pant

Hi Pankaj,

Usually the e-mail clients have several limitations concerning CSS.

There are some sites you can check to see the limitations of each e-mail client, like https://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/style-element/style-in-body/.

Hi Pankaj Pant how do you resolved this? In your analyses did you find something to help you on what you need?

In my case it's an obligation all the e-mails are being send from Outsystems, is the only possible channel of communication through e-mail

I notice that the html need to be cleaver enough to understand for example, if is a google account and then point for the correct html, according to the scenario.

I designed everything in the Outsystems "Email Screen" and if I open int Outlook is almost perfect, but in the Gmail just split the entire e-mail in images.

We need to ensure that the e-mails are perfect readable in all devises, in all e-mails systems. 

Can you help me with your experience? Just giving some ideas?

The last scenario is ask a Front End developer to develop and send the correct Html to Outsystems because I think is a limitation.

Or I'm wrong?

Hi Nuno,

E-mail design is a crime. I just spent the better part of two weeks getting a single orange border to play nicely with all clients, amongst others. And that's sending e-mail via an HTML template: not the OutSystems Platform e-mail. I think the first thing you need to do is check what the Platform does when you specify CSS for the e-mail screen, inlining styles etc. you'll probably need some hand tweaking there, and you might conclude the Platform does something that breaks your lay-out, and then you're really stuck. If you want to stay sane, don't do HTML e-mail! :)

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Nuno,

E-mail design is a crime. I just spent the better part of two weeks getting a single orange border to play nicely with all clients, amongst others. And that's sending e-mail via an HTML template: not the OutSystems Platform e-mail. I think the first thing you need to do is check what the Platform does when you specify CSS for the e-mail screen, inlining styles etc. you'll probably need some hand tweaking there, and you might conclude the Platform does something that breaks your lay-out, and then you're really stuck. If you want to stay sane, don't do HTML e-mail! :)

Hi Killian, thanks for the reply!

I won't write HTML to be able to build a nice responsible e-mail for all clients, thanks God the client where I am is used to work with really nice front end developers and I'm understanding that they are the right guys to do this better and faster.

The problem here was they (client) thought that I with Outsystems in 1, 2 days will be able to do great e-mails, responsive and perfect for all environments. because I never suffered that pain before I was not able to understand the difficult and I was not able to suggest other way. 

When you say something like this: "you might conclude the Platform does something that breaks your lay-out". It's the reality.

I will report this situation and I think the best solution is receive a text that will be our HTML (completely e-Mail body). This HTML will be provided from an external .NET tool and it will be developed by a Front End developer, that for sure, has already some nice responsive code to reuse and adapt to our necessity. They are already sending e-mails.

But with this post we understand that we have limitations to work with e-Mails in Outsystems. 

Yes, Platform e-mail works fine if you, say, want to send an internal status update from a timer, but it's completely unsuitable if you want to create a nice-looking e-mail to send to customers, that also works on all e-mail clients...