App store audio background issue

Hi all,

I'm trying to submit my mobile app to the app store, but it got rejected. This was the feedback I received:

"Your app declares support for audio in the UIBackgroundModes key in your Info.plist, but we were unable to play any audible content when the app was running in the background.

Next Steps

The audio key is intended for use by apps that provide audible content to the user while in the background, such as music player or streaming audio apps. Please revise your app to provide audible content to the user while the app is in the background or remove the "audio" setting from the UIBackgroundModes key."

I'm not intending to use audio while the app is in background mode. Could it be that the background mode plugin enables this functionality? 

My next step would be to explore this plugin: https://www.outsystems.com/forge/Component_Details.aspx?ProjectId=3079 to try and change the info.plist in OutSystems instead of diving into Xcode again.

Let me know if there is an easy fix or if exploring this plugin is the way to go.

Kind regards,

Art

Hi Artuur,

Did you find the solution for the above issue?

My app also rejected by Apple for the same reason.

Thanks

Sudhakar.

Hi Sudhakar,

Unfortunately I did not receive any help and didn't have time to get to the bottom of this. Another developer reached out to me recently with the same problem. He was going to talk to OutSystems directly. Might be worth raising a support ticket to them. Else, it might be worth removing plugins one by one and submitting the app again to try to understand which plugin is causing this behaviour. Whatever you find, let us know: sharing is caring! 

Hi Artuur,

Thanks for the information.

I found the issue, that setting is in Vonage mobile plugin. I am able to identify in plugin.xml.

I have provided justification to Apple.

-Sudhakar

You're welcome. That could be it. I was personally using One Signal as a way to send push notifications to my mobile app. So it seems like anyone having a push notifications plugin in their mobile app might run into this same issue, since they can be received while the app is in background mode and can notify the user by a sound. 

Good luck with pushing your app to the app store. Please do let us know if Apple should not accept your explanation. 

Artuur De Maeyer wrote:

You're welcome. That could be it. I was personally using One Signal as a way to send push notifications to my mobile app. So it seems like anyone having a push notifications plugin in their mobile app might run into this same issue, since they can be received while the app is in background mode and can notify the user by a sound. 

Good luck with pushing your app to the app store. Please do let us know if Apple should not accept your explanation. 

Sure. I will keep you posted.

-Sudhakar 

Well, I've published a handful of applications to App Store with Push Notifications (OneSignal and Pushwoosh) enabled and didn't run into such an issue.

It would be interesting to understand which plugins you're using and then go, one by one, to see which one might be triggering that setting for iOS.

Cheers!

Armando Gomes wrote:

Well, I've published a handful of applications to App Store with Push Notifications (OneSignal and Pushwoosh) enabled and didn't run into such an issue.

It would be interesting to understand which plugins you're using and then go, one by one, to see which one might be triggering that setting for iOS.

Cheers!

Agreed, I also recommended this 1 by 1 approach in an earlier message in this thread. I personally don't have the time for this at the moment, but I do remember also having the camera, location and background plugins in my mobile app. 

Feel free to to do this Sudhakar should Apple refuse your explanation, or someone else reading this because they ran into the same problem. If we find the problem, improvements could potentially be made to the plugin(s) on the forge causing the issue. 

Artuur De Maeyer wrote:

I personally don't have the time for this at the moment, but I do remember also having the camera, location and background plugins in my mobile app. 

All it takes is the build log. It states every plugin that is included in the generation process.