10 Tabs, how to?

10 Tabs, how to?

Hi Community,

I cannot find tabs in SILK UI for more than 5. Then i try to open the clone and try to copy it and add some plcaholders, but with no luck. It shows all tens, but when i click tab2, it is still pointing to content1.

Can anybody give a step by step to do? Thank you.

regards,

Have a look here... there's a sample as well... and some funny responses.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/15775/silk-ui-tabs-and-breadcrumbs/#Post67154

Solution

hi Davids,

If wer are not using 'plain' web template, but using template - like DUblin -  i can clone the tab pattern and then just add the tabs and their contents.

regards,

P

Solution

Hi Made,

Though it's great that you solved your problem, in general I'd advise against using more than 5 tabs (as I also did in your other post). The reason is that these are client-side tabs, which means that all content, on every tab is already sent to the browser, and processed by it. This typically leads to a very sluggish UI and a bad user experience for the user.

If you need more than 5 tabs, that's a sure sign you're either using tabs like a menu, or your UI is way too complex. In such cases I would consider to break the screen down in smaller screens, and use a wizzard-type approach for navigating.

Hi Kilian,

I've seen this answer before... that using more than 5 tabs is not recommended.  While I understand the concept of the answer I don't really understand the arbitrary limit of 5.  There could be 2 tabs with a bucket of content that could result in a terrible UI... or 7 tabs with little content that would have no effect on UI.

Doesn't it depend on what's going into the Tabs?

If so, why not allow a user to start with 5 but easily add 1 more... or 2... but put up an advisory that if each of the tabs carries a lot of content it will affect performance.

Hi Davidk,

Given the nature of a tab: they must be statically (design-time) defined with content, and therefore there needs to be some limit given the way the Platform (and Service Studio) works. Five seems a sane number, als because 7 tabs would imho not be good UI design and therefore would not provide a good UX.

Thanks Kilian,

In any other development environment I've worked in... there was always a mechanism for easily adding an additional tab after the original widget is placed.

I still feel it's a bit arbitrary... and really depends on the tab contents.