[MicroBlink Plugin] Scanning Portugal Id 

[MicroBlink Plugin] Scanning Portugal Id 

Forge Component
(0)
Published on 2016-12-28 by OutSystems Experts
0 votes
Published on 2016-12-28 by OutSystems Experts

Hello Guys,

Congrats for this component. It is working good. I have some question. Have you ever try to scan the Portugal ID card (Cartão do Cidadão)?

I could read it, but only the bottom line data was captured. In our case we need the NIF and I could not find where this information is available. Do you have any tips about it?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Fabio Fantato

Hello Fabio,

Are you talking about the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) in the back of the card?
That area (MRZ) does not include the NIF, the Chip contains the NIF:

"A zona específica destinada a leitura óptica contém os seguintes elementos de identificaçãodo titular: apelidos e nomes próprios, nacionalidade, data de nascimento e sexo. Contém ainda a menção “República Portuguesa”, o tipo e o número de documento e a data devalidade (artigo 7º, nº4, da Lei n.º 7/2007, de 5 de Fevereiro)." Source: see Page 8 and 9.

Cheers

Hi João,

Thanks for your fast answer. So, It is work here and I could read the MRZ area as you said. But, at really, my use case is a quite complex, because our customer needs the NIF Number too. It is the only information outside that area they need indeed.

I´m researching the MicroBlink SDK to know if it is possible to do the OCR from that information too. I found some api to do that , but I don´t try it yet.  

My idea here was in expectation someone already try it successfully. But I guess I will need to work deeper on the SDK.

If you know someone already try it , please tell me :)

Thanks anyway.

Fábio Fantato

João Batista wrote:

Hello Fabio,

Are you talking about the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) in the back of the card?
That area (MRZ) does not include the NIF, the Chip contains the NIF:

"A zona específica destinada a leitura óptica contém os seguintes elementos de identificaçãodo titular: apelidos e nomes próprios, nacionalidade, data de nascimento e sexo. Contém ainda a menção “República Portuguesa”, o tipo e o número de documento e a data devalidade (artigo 7º, nº4, da Lei n.º 7/2007, de 5 de Fevereiro)." Source: see Page 8 and 9.

Cheers

I don't know of anyone, I'm sorry.

Maybe you could use a different OCR plugin to deal with the NIF field since the BlinkId plugin seems to only support full OCR on certain types of IDs (like the European Drivers Licence and German ID but it doesn't seem to handle full OCR on Portuguese IDs).

Seems like an interesting use case, please update us when you find a solution.
Good luck!

Kind regards,

Hi Fabio,

For the Portugal ID we can extract data from the MRZ field. 

As NIF number is not part of the MRZ field, with the default MRTDRecognizer we are unable to return that specific field. However, there is a solution (same as Joao mentioned above). It's called a Templating API and in that way, we are returning the information from the front side of the Germany ID and EUDL documents.

Templating API is designed to OCR a specific frame that user presets on the document. 

Here is the sample of how we set a template for the Croatian ID: 

Android: https://github.com/BlinkID/blinkid-android/blob/master/templatingAPI/templatingAPI.md

iOS: https://github.com/BlinkID/blinkid-ios/wiki/Using-Templating-API

Here is also a sample of the image on how to set decodingInfo location on the document: 

I want to mention that Templating API is currently only supported on the native platforms.

If you require more information about Templating API, feel free to contact me. 

Best regards,

Ivan