Outsystems Licenses and Limitations

Outsystems Licenses and Limitations

Hello,

I'm a bit confused by outsytems licensing model.
I have looked at the pricing page and i have looked at other question on the forum. 

My question is not so related to price but to the options one has when he reaches the limits of his license.

For example it appears that the outsystems license imposes limits on the number of objects one can create or use. Im already confused how are those objects counted (only production?; production and tests?; production, tests and development?). Anyways, regardless of how they are counted,  my biggest concern is what happens when i do reach the maximun nunber of objects?

For example the image attached shows that my company has used 413 objects out of the 600 we are entitled to. 

So the question is what happens when we do reach the 600 objects, 

• Do we have to stop developing? 
  • Do we need to upgrade to our plan?
  • In case we are already have the "Universal license", what options we have left?
    • Buy an adicional license?
    • Can multiple licenses be used simultaneously ?

At the moment I do not have all the information regarding the license that my company holds but I would appreciate if someone could clarify some of those questions for me because i would like to know how to procede once we reach the limits of our licenses. 

Thanks in advance.

About the Application Objects (AOs) you can see how to calculate in this link: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Licensing/Overview/Application_Object_count

Normally in Dev the AOs are unlimited. 

In QA and Prod you will have the same amount of AOs for each environment. Example: if you contrated 600 AOs, you will get 600 for each environment.

When you are near the license limit you will receive a warning about this. If you overpass there may have licensing issues, but nothing that can not exclude some objects to return to normal. In this you can check also in the QA environment so that there is no problem in Production.

And if you really need to increase the amount of AOs you can upgrade the license.
Normally in the clients that I am working the same already has in contract the possibility to increase with the passage of time. It is contracted a value less than AOs and with the passage of time it will increase along with the demand.

Solution

Hi Ferox,

If you reach the maximum number of Application Objects (AOs), you cannot publish any new software anymore. Your current apps will still function, so there's no direct impact to the end-user, but you can't create new apps or amend current ones.

The other limit that's set per license is the number of registered users. This limits the number of active users that have a login (so the number of users visible in the Users eSpace). If you reach this limit, you can't create new users anymore.

When you notice that you are reaching the AO limit, you can try to cut down on AOs (removing code or screens no longer necessary), or you contact your local OutSystems office and renegociate your license (there's a license per environment, which comprises of several servers amongst which a number of production nodes; additional licenses are for additional environments, not to extend a current environment).

I don't know what the "universal license" is, but I know there are licenses for an unlimited amount of AOs and an unlimited amount of users. So if you have such a license, you never run into these problems (but understandingly these licenses are costly).

Solution

Hi Formiga,
Hi Kilian,

Thanks for your answers; both of the answers helped me to gain a much rich understanding Aplication Objects, Outsystems licencing and its limitations.  

Thanks for your assistance, I really apreciate it.

You're most welcome!

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Ferox,

If you reach the maximum number of Application Objects (AOs), you cannot publish any new software anymore. Your current apps will still function, so there's no direct impact to the end-user, but you can't create new apps or amend current ones.

The other limit that's set per license is the number of registered users. This limits the number of active users that have a login (so the number of users visible in the Users eSpace). If you reach this limit, you can't create new users anymore.

When you notice that you are reaching the AO limit, you can try to cut down on AOs (removing code or screens no longer necessary), or you contact your local OutSystems office and renegociate your license (there's a license per environment, which comprises of several servers amongst which a number of production nodes; additional licenses are for additional environments, not to extend a current environment).

I don't know what the "universal license" is, but I know there are licenses for an unlimited amount of AOs and an unlimited amount of users. So if you have such a license, you never run into these problems (but understandingly these licenses are costly).

This is great info

Ferox Neto wrote:

Hi Formiga,
Hi Kilian,

Thanks for your answers; both of the answers helped me to gain a much rich understanding Aplication Objects, Outsystems licencing and its limitations.  

Thanks for your assistance, I really apreciate it.

:D